Hybrid Repair and Maintenance Guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Thanks. I have basic diy tools incl. Allen keys and spanners, pliers, some sockets and the like. I also have some tyre levers and a pump that I bought for the Cobalt 1 but never actually used. So I suppose it's the more bike-specific tools that I might need i.e. for managing the chain etc. I'll ask when I go to the shop to pick the bike up :smile:. Today would be a good day as the sun's shining but I'll have to wait until they let me know.

Louise

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sounds like you have most of the stuff you need already. You'll need to clean and lube the chain - rags are good for that. But you're not going to be replacing the chain for a while so you don't need to rush out and get a chain splitter.

I think if you have what you need to fix a puncture and can keep the chain clean and oiled you'll manage without anything else for the time being. For chain cleaning advice search on here for the "Mickle method"

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I have basic diy tools incl. Allen keys and spanners, pliers, some sockets and the like. I also have some tyre levers and a pump that I bought for the Cobalt 1 but never actually used. So I suppose it's the more bike-specific tools that I might need i.e. for managing the chain etc. I'll ask when I go to the shop to pick the bike up :smile:. Today would be a good day as the sun's shining but I'll have to wait until they let me know.

Louise
Cassette tool, chain whip, chain splitter, cable snippers, spoke key might be useful if you intend to do more maintenance than i ever will :laugh: I do have those bits in a jobsworth kit I got from Planet X years ago. A work stand is also very useful but they are quite space hungry (mine is a spider haven in the shed) :whistle:

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Cassette tool, chain whip, chain splitter, cable snippers, spoke key might be useful if you intend to do more maintenance than i ever will :laugh: I do have those bits in a jobsworth kit I got from Planet X years ago. A work stand is also very useful but they are quite space hungry (mine is a spider haven in the shed) :whistle:
Thanks. I live in a small flat but could do some basic bike maintenance on the landing, if I had to. I don't really know what the tools are that you mention... I suppose if anything goes wrong with the chain then I'd have to fix it myself as, if the bike is non-functional, it would be difficult to get back to the shop. What do you need if, say, the chain comes off when out riding? Also what would I need to do puncture repair? I think the current tyres are Giant S-X3 Puncture protect, 700x38c.

Louise

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I live in a small flat but could do some basic bike maintenance on the landing, if I had to. I don't really know what the tools are that you mention... I suppose if anything goes wrong with the chain then I'd have to fix it myself as, if the bike is non-functional, it would be difficult to get back to the shop. What do you need if, say, the chain comes off when out riding? Also what would I need to do puncture repair? I think the current tyres are Giant S-X3 Puncture protect, 700x38c.

Louise
Nothing usually if the chain isn’t broken or twisted, just pull it back onto the chain ring. Latex gloves are useful to keep hands from getting mucky.
Tyre levers, an inner tube that covers that width and a pump (and potentially strong thumbs!)

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Those tyres are brutal to fit .
Fill the tubes with some puncture foam and keep them pumped up nice. Don't think you will get many if any punctures with that set up.
If you do just pull out the item and pump them back up . 👍

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Louise
I've only helped others who have had a chain come off, most usually the root cause was that the gear limit screws are way out of whack, allowing a derailleur to travel too far one way or the other. The chain then jumps off during a gear change and it sometimes jams between frame and front sprockets, or between rear cassette and spokes / frame. The first aid fix is just some brute force and a prying instrument of some sort (multitool is good), that usually frees the chain, then put the chain back on the sprockets and keep it in a mid range gear until you or a mechanic can do the gear re-indexing at the next opportunity.

The chain can also just simply break / snap, that's pretty rare though. To fix that you need a quick link (a link of chain designed to replace a broken one), and a chain splitter tool.

On puncture preparedness, you need a spare tube of the correct size, something to inflate with (CO2 or pump), tyre levers, and most of us carry some glueless patches (or old school patches and glue) as a back up in case you get more than 1 puncture (or you pinch the new tube). The key thing is to learn how to fix a flat before it happens (Park Tools' Calvin does two excellent videos on it), and please practice the process before you need it as it takes all the stress out of it. A warm front room with Youtube on your TV and a cup of tea in hand is a far better environment to learn in than a windy, dark and wet country lane in February. Being practiced at changing tubes will have you on your way in 5 minutes, being unsure of what to do could leave you cold, wet, vulnerable, and with fingers that can't feel anything.

View: https://youtu.be/58STtUM-Wow

View: https://youtu.be/T0F_hibWHlU

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re concerned about getting stranded while out, consider ETA cycle rescue insurance. They won’t fix your bike but they’ll sort transport to get you and bike to a shop, station or home. I’ve had for a few years, never needed but offers peace of mind for about £20 a year.

Roseland triker

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Those tyres are brutal to fit .
Fill the tubes with some puncture foam and keep them pumped up nice. Don't think you will get many if any punctures with that set up.
If you do just pull out the item and pump them back up . 👍
The word 'brutal' is a bit scary for this old lady! I don't know anything about 'puncture foam' - pros and cons?
Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

If you’re concerned about getting stranded while out, consider ETA cycle rescue insurance. They won’t fix your bike but they’ll sort transport to get you and bike to a shop, station or home. I’ve had for a few years, never needed but offers peace of mind for about £20 a year.
I won't be going far - probably not further than I think I could walk. But I'll bear it in mind :smile:
Louise

Roseland triker

The word 'brutal' is a bit scary for this old lady! I don't know anything about 'puncture foam' - pros and cons?
Louise
They can be stiff to fit being a strong tyre.
If you stick the slime in the tubes it stays fluid until it leaks out in the case of a puncture sealing the leak

I've had bikes with over 20 thorns in them and the tube is basically attached to the tyres by them but still pumped up.
It's ok stuff if put in correctly . Some hate it others love it but I think for you it could be useful.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get tubes with the slimes ready filled. I had them once, just found the valves got gunged up if not used / pumped up regularly. I certainly wouldn't consider on a bike used for bimbling/recreation (as opposed to time pressured commuting). Add weight too compared to good old air filled (bearing in mind having to carry bike up stairs)

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

You can get tubes with the slimes ready filled. I had them once, just found the valves got gunged up if not used / pumped up regularly. I certainly wouldn't consider on a bike used for bimbling/recreation (as opposed to time pressured commuting). Add weight too compared to good old air filled (bearing in mind having to carry bike up stairs)
'Bimbling'?

Top Bottom