Hydration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'll be going on a club ride to Brighton and back tomorrow and given the heat plan on taking two bottles of water . I normally only take water on a ride and hardly finish a bottle but having just had a glass of orange juice i wondered if it would be a good idea to take a bottle of that .That got me wondering , i dont know anyone that does and i'm now wondering why . Will it repeat on me or worse ? :eek:

mgs315

You may be ok with it on a ride but I’d suggest finding out on a solo ride so you can always bail/divert as necessary if you do have problems. Not quite so easy to do on a club ride.

Katherine

Guru
Rehydration tablets or a sports drink would be best.
Watered down orange juice with some added salt would be better than nothing.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm sticking with water !!!!! Its just something i've never thought about , i guess it could be a little heavy to drink during exercise .

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I prefer to keep fuel and hydration separate - so no energy powders in the bottle, and no fruit juice or squash either. (I do use electrolyte tabs in the bottle though - I find it makes it easier to drink more.)

The only time I break that rule is towards the end of very long rides when I sometimes find it hard to eat solid food. A 50:50 mix of pure orange juice and water is good - and supposedly isotonic. Bottles of premixed Ribena also work for me.

Sharky

Guru
Watch your pace. Keep it relatively low, and drink little and often. If you find yourself struggling, find a grave yard, they usually have taps you can replenish your supplies from.
You'll find a grave yard in the dead centre of a village/town.

TVC

I use 1/4 orange juice and 3/4 water with a small pinch of sea salt, I think I got the tip from Cycling+ many moons ago when they had done some comparisons of shop bought preparations.

Mrs M

Guru
5E49682F-A968-4791-AF56-DB01AE1ABFAC.jpeg
If I go on a small ride 1-2 hours I take orange juice, or a combination of juices
Anything longer I take orange juice and water, sometimes stop off for a Coke :ohmy: (full fat, none of the diet malarkey) If it’s good enough for the pro’s :dry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I weighed myself this morning before a short ride then again afterwards, to find that I'd lost 300 gms. Drank 300 gms of water, weighed myself again and I was back to my start weight.

And that was a 35 minute quickie at about 8.45 when it was still lovely and cool. How much will you sweat going to Brighton?

Top Bottom