Hydration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A triathlete mate has bought three of those seat mounted bottle holders, at considerable cost as he likes all the blingy stuff (it's his money, so why not?).
The reason he's bought three of them is that he's broken the other two: one of which literally vibrated itself to bits on a ride and the other one he whacked with his leg while getting on the bike...:laugh:
I wouldn't trust them either. I've watched a few video reports about the Dirty Kanza 200 this year, one couple saw a lot of bottles that had been lost from those mounts!

Slick

Guru
A sweat test is worth doing if you frequently suffer from dehydration. It basically determines the concentration of salt you are sweating out under various conditions and then recommends replacement strategies for different scenarios. Some suffer heavy salt loss and others less so in the same conditions. Heavy losses affect cell function including the heart.
How is this carried out and by whom?

Alan O

Über Member
I did a 105-mile ride today, with 4,500 feet of climbing, and the weather was scorchio and breezy.

I drank a total of 8 litres (of various drinks), and only peed about 300ml.

mangid

Guru
I did a 105-mile ride today, with 4,500 feet of climbing, and the weather was scorchio and breezy.

I drank a total of 8 litres (of various drinks), and only peed about 300ml.
Today: 100 miles, 3000ft and 1.5l of zero coal (2 bottles) , 1gel and one granola bar.

Yesterday: 125miles, 4000ft, maybe 1l (1.5 bottles), 2 gels and one granola bar.

But I'm crap at hydration.

In the winter I'll barely touch one bottle, that's if I bother to take one

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Is having a pint on a ride frowned upon in the Audax world?
I don't do Audax or drink, just curious.

Not at all. Quite the opposite. I don’t drink either, but the Audax Club I ride with are very relaxed and very supportive of the local breweries and cider farms.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
the Audax Club I ride with are very relaxed and very supportive of the local breweries and cider farms.

Glad to hear it, I'm generally very supportive of breweries myself (at least the ones that still brew proper beer anyway!). However, as much as I like a beer, alcohol is not the best of things to consume in quantity whilst undertaking any kind of strenuous physical activity, as it isn't helpful to hydration when the weather is as hot as it has been this week. Save it for the end when you can put your feet up and relax.

Ajax Bay

Guru
beer, alcohol is not the best of things to consume in quantity whilst undertaking any kind of strenuous physical activity, as it isn't helpful to hydration when the weather is as hot as it has been this week.
Who said anything about consuming beer 'in quantity'? Will a rider be more or less hydrated an hour's riding after drinking a pint of beer compared with not drinking a pint (of beer)? When you're 3/4 though a 300k and it's 4pm, a pint slips down very nicely and sets the group up for the final push.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A sweat test is worth doing if you frequently suffer from dehydration. It basically determines the concentration of salt you are sweating out under various conditions and then recommends replacement strategies for different scenarios. Some suffer heavy salt loss and others less so in the same conditions. Heavy losses affect cell function including the heart.

I was chatting with son#2 about salt loss today. I drank 3.5l on my ride so I guess I must have sweated out a simlar quantity (minimal pee). According to Google sweat is on average about 10g per litre so that's 35g

That seems a heck of a lot. It's 56 salt n shake packets

Top Bottom