Hydration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's no way I'm riding anywhere on a bike during the middle of the day when the sun is high in the sky and temperatures hit the high 20's! Its strictly mornings and evenings only for me! Went out this morning for 16 miles before it got too warm and did my usual trick of downing a pint of tap water in one go last thing before I went out the door. Got back from my ride and drank another pint to replenish. I don't bother with hydration tabs or adding salt because I probably get more than enough salt from what I put on my food.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I weighed myself this morning before a short ride then again afterwards, to find that I'd lost 300 gms. Drank 300 gms of water, weighed myself again and I was back to my start weight.

And that was a 35 minute quickie at about 8.45 when it was still lovely and cool. How much will you sweat going to Brighton?
Its fast pace so quite a nice breeze . Funny enough we stop for fish and chips at the seaside and then smash it back only stopping for a pint at a pub . @130 miles in all
Now i'm really wondering why no one drinks fruit juice on a ride .

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Strange how drinking 300gm of water makes your weight increase 300gm. Interesting. :smile:

“Here comes the sciencey bit...”

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Now i'm really wondering why no one drinks fruit juice on a ride .
Here's why!
I'm the same btw, OJ is a no no for me on a ride.
Orange juice can sometimes upset my stomach so I wouldn't risk that on a ride of any distance.

Orange juice and exercise would give me chronic heartburn, far too acidic for me.

In this heat, you also risk the juice starting to ferment. Which comes with unfortunate consequences. DAMHIKT

Tin Pot

Guru
I wouldn’t think OJ has much of what you want for endurance rides - acid, vitamin C and fructose aren’t things I’d be looking for.

I would carry water with electrolyte tabs, and a few gels if you’re stopping for a meal.

“Here comes the sciencey bit...”
If only there was clear science to support electrolyte supplementation. It’s just guess work at the moment, some of it educated guesswork but nonetheless.

Top Bottom