Hydraulic disc brakes with drop bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
More to go wrong, I'm old school sorry

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hydraulic discs on drop bars? Old hat.
Dissatisfied with the performance of available disc brakes, in 1997 we worked with the Italian manufacturer Formula to develop a tandem-specific hydraulic disc brake and the industry’s first remote master cylinder, thereby allowing owners of the world’s finest road tandems to combine hydraulic braking with integrated brake/shift levers.
http://santanatandem.com/Leadership/History.html

Globalti

Legendary Member
I CAN'T WAIT!

Got my eye on the frame, all I need is those brakes and I'm going to build myself the perfect winter cross-purpose trainer.

Hydraulic discs on drop bars? Why not? Great idea!

And why not also Mussels in Strawberry and Asparagas sauce with Lemonade and Basil? Yum yum!

Why not a Chihuahua with the head of a Triceratops? Evolution itself distilled into perfection!

Or Trousers made of Camembert and liquorice? Fashion has been waiting for this!

But back to the OP:

No. Stop being silly. Grow up and be careful what you wish for. Before long you'll want a telephone that takes pictures!

No wonder our jails are full!

I hope I have helped...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
All I can say is - hydraulic disc brakes on a drop handlebar bike work extremely well. When you're hurtling down a hill in excess of 40mph and your best beloved is sitting behind you with no control over your shared bike (which, incidentally, is running on 28mm rubber, so perhaps 2 square cms of tyre are in contact with the road), willing you to slow down - you'd better believe that you can stop.

But to pretend that a 15-year-old technology is somehow new? Pull the other one.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's new, in that there is no mechanical to hydraulic converter required - it's all integrated in the brifters

All I can say is - hydraulic disc brakes on a drop handlebar bike work extremely well. When you're hurtling down a hill in excess of 40mph and your best beloved is sitting behind you with no control over your shared bike (which, incidentally, is running on 28mm rubber, so perhaps 2 square cms of tyre are in contact with the road), willing you to slow down - you'd better believe that you can stop.

But to pretend that a 15-year-old technology is somehow new? Pull the other one.

Pull the other one? I probably will.... It's connected to a proper brake with a cable and calipers.

Dearie, dearie me! These young people and their hare-brained notions about so-called 'brakes'.

And why, pray tell, does your best beloved feel it necessary to cadge a ride on your luggage rack? She'd be happier on her own bicycle.

Top Bottom