I’m sure this means something ........to someone .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It really isn't that difficult, and certainly not beyond the wit of anyone here to understand. And the graph really helps- it shows that rotational velocity is pretty constant except when planets are close to their sun, when it can get really fast. Which is also what the words say.

There are two surprising things. First, that we've discovered loads of exoplanets - the first one was discovered pretty recently, and second that we're able to measure things about them pretty accurately.

Reactions: C R
yes … err blue I think Tuesday at 1:45...………….ish:wacko::wacko:

PaulB

Legendary Member
3 months wages, nice of him to do that, I'm sure he's going to struggle to live on the other £7.5M this year.
A huge portion of which he gives to fund hospitals, health centres, schools and education facilities where he's from. But that won't fit in with your bitterness really, will it?

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not bitter I just think they are excessively overpaid

classic33

Leg End Member
I came across this on a football site , I completely agree with it ,, ( I think ? ) erm ......

“”just ran this enquiry in the NASA Exoplanet Database to compare stellar rotation rate (stars rotate just like the Earth), and look what I found. Those so called Hot Jupiter planets which are Jupiter sized planets which are orbiting very close to their star seem to be slowly migrating inwards, before they will be engulfed by their star, and look what happens to the star, it's rotation rate speeds up.

This I think is really really cool. It shows evidence for the stellar tides. This is when a planet distorts a star creating a bulge on its surface, (like the moon's effect on our Oceans), and then the bulge pulls on the planet causing it to migrate.

This is the same process which goes on between Earth and the Moon only rather than moving inwards, the Moon is moving outwards at 4cm/year.

In the graph, those stars with an elevated rotational velocity, are only those on the left, i.e. those very close in to their star. Stellar tides are sensitive to distance.

View attachment 479012
You are Rajesh and I claim my £5

gbb

Legendary Member
Someone's taking the pith on a footie site I suspect. I like their sense of humour if that's the case.
A former colleague once explained how you should theoretically be able to travel interstellar distances using (I think) quantum physics or similar. He explained at great length...I nodded, somewhat non the wiser
You get it don't you ? he asked.
Errr...no I replied
'Yeah, I just explained it...you must understand....
Errr no. I can agree, I can accept what you've just said, but unless you understand quantum physics...you cant understand, only accept. You don't really understand...just accept.
No no...I understood what he meant, my former colleague spouted
Yeah right :laugh:

Top Bottom