I accidentally bought a new (to me) bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It wasn’t my fault. Honest.

@biggs682 just kept on posting rides, on Facebook, with pics of a gorgeous Mercian.
Anyhow, I happened to be over at his place to collect an Olmo frame and forks for a completely different project.
I saw the Mercian and commented that I was assuming that it was a keeper, but no! Not a keeper it was to be sold. After a quick spin around the block, an attempt by my bike buddy to dissuade me - envy on his part as it was too small for him :laugh: - some money changed hands and the Mercian was popped into the back of my car.

Journey home was a smidge frosty but I had a very good 80s CD to play.

Naturally, it rained all day but I went out, after tea today, just for a little 20 miler. That bike really shifts. I had a blast, mindful that it requires a shim so was quite sensible, but it didn’t miss a beat. I rode with bike buddy and the Mercian even managed to ping a stone up and shoot him in the leg for his envy and sulky silence on the way home.

Yes @Dogtrousers , it was your frame once ^_^

I foresee a lot of long rides in my near future.
That saddle is awesome, btw. I am going to try to find a couple more of them for my other bikes. Most comfy.
I am going to fit narrower bars and a shorter stem, just to make it perfect.:wub:

classic33

Leg End Member
It wasn’t my fault. Honest.

@biggs682 just kept on posting rides, on Facebook, with pics of a gorgeous Mercian.
Anyhow, I happened to be over at his place to collect an Olmo frame and forks for a completely different project.
I saw the Mercian and commented that I was assuming that it was a keeper, but no! Not a keeper it was to be sold. After a quick spin around the block, an attempt by my bike buddy to dissuade me - envy on his part as it was too small for him :laugh: - some money changed hands and the Mercian was popped into the back of my car.

Journey home was a smidge frosty but I had a very good 80s CD to play.

Naturally, it rained all day but I went out, after tea today, just for a little 20 miler. That bike really shifts. I had a blast, mindful that it requires a shim so was quite sensible, but it didn’t miss a beat. I rode with bike buddy and the Mercian even managed to ping a stone up and shoot him in the leg for his envy and sulky silence on the way home.

Yes @Dogtrousers , it was your frame once ^_^

I foresee a lot of long rides in my near future.
That saddle is awesome, btw. I am going to try to find a couple more of them for my other bikes. Most comfy.
I am going to fit narrower bars and a shorter stem, just to make it perfect.:wub: View attachment 541865
You're going to have to start staying away from anyone who has bikes that may be sold.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

You're going to have to start staying away from anyone who has bikes that may be sold.
It’s not often that I go mad and fall in love with a bike. It was flaunting itself at me on Facebook.
I did get the Olmo. I need the forks for my MB Dronfield.

I have thinned out my bikes lately. The Planet X roadie has gone to a new home as it only got ridden for 11 miles after I bought my Genesis. The Whyte Kings Cross is down the road a bit and I will give my Planet X Carbon CX a polish and put it up for sale. That has been ridden at least 3 times since May last year. Just not feeling the love of Carbon any longer.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

@Saluki i am glad you enjoyed your first outing make sure you look after it please .

Good news re saddle being comfy i really get on with them hence why the whole fleet have them fitted .

I will miss the Mercian for sure but something else will come along .

If i find a bigger Mercian i will let you know .

Thank you
Look after it! :wub:It was instantly promoted to the bike that lives in the bedroom. It’s been polished with my posh bike polish and I think wiping it clean, after the ride, took nearly as long as the ride :laugh:
Bike buddy rode it for about 100 yards and pronounced it ‘small’. It’s hardly the bike’s fault that Bike bud is a giant. He did confess to extreme envy. I will get in touch with Mercian and ask if they have any matching paint that I can touch up a couple of little bits with. I will replace some of the cable rub protection tape too. Cable end caps on order.

I am quite a good bike looker-afterer. Mine are all clean, kept indoors and well maintained, except for the hideous Carerra thing that I loathe as it won’t stay fixed for more than half an hour. I am going to have to pull it apart and get new bits for winter. That is my ‘filthy weather but I really need a ride’ bike.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

View attachment 541892 A very arty photo,i can see a remarkable likeness to your saddle.So i name your bike Gonzo.
I have called him Offa, but Gonzo is good. However I cannot have a stable full of Gonzos when I replace all the saddles.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

So glad that it now has wheels and stuff and is a bike. It spent far too long sitting round naked in my office.
That’s abuse :ohmy: poor thing was probably cold:cold:

Its fabulous. Thank you for selling it on to @biggs682
I am just delighted that I have a job that allows me to impulse buy a bike without having to live on toast for a month.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

It would probably have been better not to jump on the carbon hype at all. Most of these bikes, while light, have no soul because they are always inconsistent in their overall construction.
I did love my PX pro carbon, and had a lot of fun on it. My CX was my winter go to, often my summer bike when I wanted options regarding routes and cutting across bridlepaths etc. As I have got a little older I have got slower, increased stamina and looking for a bit more comfort.

It would probably have been better not to jump on the carbon hype at all. Most of these bikes, while light, have no soul because they are always inconsistent in their overall construction.

Actually, carbon lay-ups are eminently repeatable and consistent, especially since a lot of it is done via robotics. It's pretty well much only the bespoke stuff (or racing cars) that are laid up by hand. The only real danger is bubbles of air or resin, but generally, methodology is very good.

Steel is probably slightly more inconsistent in its nature (although these things are relative), as you can't always quite predict the inclusions and minute variances in the crystalline structure, which form as the metal cools.

Never mind materials science, we were talking about cool bikes, I believe? ;)

Top Bottom