I admit it. I'm a coward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I salute you. Never let cocks get away with shoot like that.

Ste T. said:
Has anybody else taken the cowards way out?

About 10 years ago I was on my way home passing a side road when a car pulled up to the line with four young lads in it. The driver smiled and I dont know why but my Spider senses started tingling and sure enough ,at the last possible moment ,he pulled out forcing me to slam on and nearly go over the bars. He then shot off with the two lads in the back looking at me ,laughing their heads off and giving me the finger.
I pedaled after them as fast as I could but lost them over the next half a mile. I was livid and started to slow down and bimble the last mile home to try to calm down. Five minutes later, in the shadows as I crossed the local civic centre car park, who should I see locking their car up under a floodlight then crossing the road with cues in their hands to the local poolhall, but our four young heros. I stood there for a minute trying to decide what to do, then walked over to the car, let all four tyres down , hopped back on my bike and cycled home.
When the rain woke me up lashing the bedroom window at about 11.30 , I must admit the thought that they would be getting back to their car about then sent me back to sleep with a nice warm feeling in my tummy. They say it's best served cold...they're right.

PBancroft

sleekitcollie said:
Years ago I caught up with and confronted a driver that had been naughty with me at a junction a cpl miles back . I caught up with him just outside a very busy chip shop with lots people standing outside waiting . They were ALL watching as I marched up to confront the driver , pulling open the drivers door only to see" the incredible hulk" ( minus the green paint sitting there ) s@*t can't run away now as everyone was watching "the show" . Could hear comments of ha ha this will be fun etc . Anyway I shouted ( quietly) at The hulk impersonator that he had nearly caused a smash at that junction and that he should check his mirrors b4 changing lanes etc . To his credit , and my great relief the hulk said yeah mate ur right sorry . Ok I shouted quietly again as I quickly walked away from his car like 1 of those fast walk racers and made my getaway heart pounding B)

He possibly wanted to avoid a fight as much as you did. Now I'm built like a toothpick, but a friend of mine at Uni (ten years ago... Christ!) was built like the proverbial brick ****house. He was always getting chancers trying to pick fights with him and it spoiled many a night out.

Once or twice he defended himself only for his defeated foe's friends to take great offence at this and take him on en masse later in the evening (usually when he was on his way home alone). Other times he would be roundly accused of throwing his weight around and labelled a thug. That kind of accusation has a habit of sticking.

In the end it became easier to either avoid going out, or if someone tried their luck to agree with whatever they accused him of doing and promise never to do it again.

Frankly can't have been much fun. I'm glad I'm a toothpick.

marinbearvalley

Ste T. said:
Has anybody else taken the cowards way out?

How sure are you it was the very same car if after "shooting off" "5 minutes earlier" and despite you "slowing down to calm down" you passed them locking their car, given that it was dark (floodlights were lit), in the heat of the moment?

Hmm, 4 men getting out of a car in a civic centre car park.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
He possibly wanted to avoid a fight as much as you did. Now I'm built like a toothpick, but a friend of mine at Uni (ten years ago... Christ!) was built like the proverbial brick ****house. He was always getting chancers trying to pick fights with him and it spoiled many a night out.

Once or twice he defended himself only for his defeated foe's friends to take great offence at this and take him on en masse later in the evening (usually when he was on his way home alone). Other times he would be roundly accused of throwing his weight around and labelled a thug. That kind of accusation has a habit of sticking.

In the end it became easier to either avoid going out, or if someone tried their luck to agree with whatever they accused him of doing and promise never to do it again.

Frankly can't have been much fun. I'm glad I'm a toothpick.

This is very true

I am (and always was at school) that chap who is built like a brick ...er..."out"house.

I was always the guy that somebody would take a pop at first (always take out the big tall fella and the rest will leg it) and had to become quite adept at self defence and ultimately took the same approach to try and divert the confrontation (as frankly it would happen every night out).

Problem with this is that it internalises your anger and you vent it later (often much later) to those who had nothing or little to do with it...or you simply boil over during the confrontation and just loose it (in a big way).

To try and control this, I studied Karate for years (as i feared I would do someone serious damage when I did loose it in a bar or pub) and learnt much about self control and handling aggression... as well as learning about my own capabilities and abilities.

I would recommend a martial art to anyone who has found themselves in that situation other wise they risk becoming that THUG that you mentioned and never having the self ability to handle the aggression that is often targeted towards them.

Don’t get me wrong, being a big chap has its advantages as well and I wouldn’t give up my stature for anything, I'm much happier being a tall broad shouldered chap... that the alternative...but its not all fun

Top Bottom