I almost hit a child today & it's shaken me up (video). I Think I'll drive to work tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Thanks for the replies, it's given me a good boost in terms of getting on the bike tomorrow. I've watched my video 100 times and I still think I should have ridden slower. I sure will learn from this experience and keep my speed low on cycle paths like this one or avoid them altogether. I'm so glad I stopped in time. I've always thought I was a safe cyclist as I have been cycling for about 20 years. I now know that as a cyclist/driver I/we never stop learning, especially from our own near miss experiences.
This is one of the only redeeming posts in this entire thread. I am ashamed to be part of this community when so many people can say that it was not fully your responsibility. I recoiled at the video clip you posted. It disgusts me to read some replies saying pedestrian path users including children, all of who are under our duty of care as the more dangerous, should be blamed.

You were definitely using the path far too quickly. Neither the child nor the parents bear any responsibility in this case as they have a reasonable expectation of safety and respect from other path users. However, with similar (brutal) honesty I sincerely applaud what you have taken from this incident, especially since you have been at it for 20 years. Similar length of time for myself. It's hard for us learn new lessons and take new approaches to routes and grades of path and it takes a better person to learn such lessons. Bravo.

Should I hand my "allowed to post on forums" license back to the management or will tearing it up be sufficient?

Thomk

Guru
Reminded me of this incident some time ago. The mother shouted for her children to stop and they did but I still expected the unexpected.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4-mkBECZg

Young children are random little cyclones.

Reactions: _aD
Ah, but I would rather *nearly* hit someone at a reasonably slow speed than be hit on the road at a much higher speed by a car/bus/truck that suddently veers into my path. There is no difference except for the size, weight and speed of what you are hitting.....
In my experience cycling amongst the traffic is a lot more predictable than pedestrians ever are on a shared path. Accidents are always going to happen and I think if your going to ride at a decent pace like the op seems to be you should be off the path.
I should add that I'm not blaming the op in anyway and I thought he dealt with it admirably.

Thomk

Guru
This is one of the only redeeming posts in this entire thread. I am ashamed to be part of this community when so many people can say that it was not fully your responsibility. I recoiled at the video clip you posted. It disgusts me to read some replies saying pedestrian path users including children, all of who are under our duty of care as the more dangerous, should be blamed.

You were definitely using the path far too quickly. Neither the child nor the parents bear any responsibility in this case as they have a reasonable expectation of safety and respect from other path users. However, with similar (brutal) honesty I sincerely applaud what you have taken from this incident, especially since you have been at it for 20 years. Similar length of time for myself. It's hard for us leuarn new lessons and take new approaches to routes and grades of path and it takes a better person to learn such lessons. Bravo.

Should I hand my "allowed to post on forums" license back to the management or will tearing it up be sufficient?

I sort of agree with this but think the comments about responsibility are a little confused. The cyclist should bear full responsibility for not hitting the child. The parents should bear full responsibility for making good decisions on behalf of their young child and the child should be learning to act responsibility in these situations. I, as a parent of young cyclists, do not rely on others acting safely and respectfully although most do of course.

Neither the child nor the parents bear any responsibility in this case as they have a reasonable expectation of safety and respect from other path users.

that applies on the roads too. So, had the child veered onto the road and been struck by a driver unable to stop in time, you'd blame the driver?

_aD

that applies on the roads too. So, had the child veered onto the road and been struck by a driver unable to stop in time, you'd blame the driver?
I will try not to nit pick, as that doesn't further any discussion. I did word the following statement the way I did on purpose: "Neither the child nor the parents bear any responsibility in this case as they have a reasonable expectation of safety and respect from other path users."

If the child was in an environment where they could easily have veered into the road then the parent has the responsibility to make sure they don't. Notwithstanding that, if a road user hits a child then it is the fault of the road user under all circumstances.

_aD

I sort of agree with this but think the comments about responsibility are a little confused. The cyclist should bear full responsibility for not hitting the child. The parents should bear full responsibility for making good decisions on behalf of their young child and the child should be learning to act responsibility in these situations. I, as a parent of young cyclists, do not rely on others acting safely and respectfully although most do of course.
I agree that parents bear responsibility to instil common sense in their kids. I feel if more did, there'd be fewer instances where I've watched kids do similar things across my path. The parent has taken his son out in a safe space and isn't expected to micromanage what his son is doing. The boy's old enough not to be carried, walked next to or needing reins, in the environment the video is set, so there's little else Dad could have done. Kids will be kids - even the savvy ones. I'd like to add that I'd have told off my son if he did that. But after I'd given the cyclist a bloody good telling off.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Depends on why the driver was unable to stop. Was it a residential street, were the pavements busy, was the child showing any signs of being about to launch themselves into the road? Impossible to say without more information

On a shared use path, though, it's entirely clear. Pedestrians may wander where they will, and cyclists need to deal with it

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
In my experience cycling amongst the traffic is a lot more predictable than pedestrians ever are on a shared path. Accidents are always going to happen and I think if your going to ride at a decent pace like the op seems to be you should be off the path.
I should add that I'm not blaming the op in anyway and I thought he dealt with it admirably.

Well I wouldn't prefer to be flattened by a lorry just because it was 'more predictable', accident or otherwise. :laugh:

As for speed, yeah, it can be a difficult one depending on location, circumstances, etc. I usually do slow down when I see people, it's a common courtesy (that said, I have a great network of paths here (mainly old railway tracks) that are nothing like that in the video. Certainly, early in the morning or during the winter when it is deserted, I have been known to time myself along certain sections :whistle:, but I wouldn't do that if the place was full of people).

Oh yes, and the OP dealt with it probably better than I would have, well done!!

Last edited:

_aD

I think my attitude towards sensible cycling speeds is helped by the fact I often carry a fair bit of weight in my luggage, ride a mountain bike and always have a D-lock. 20mph is fast for me, 30mph is "Wow, I hit 30 today?". When you're hauling a lot it's quite nice to have a section or two of slow riding. I'm not sure if this skews my opinions on sensible speeds, or corrects them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think my attitude towards sensible cycling speeds is helped by the fact I often carry a fair bit of weight in my luggage, ride a mountain bike and always have a D-lock. 20mph is fast for me, 30mph is "Wow, I hit 30 today?". When you're hauling a lot it's quite nice to have a section or two of slow riding. I'm not sure if this skews my opinions on sensible speeds, or corrects them.

I have the opposite, I have a bike that just flies (I just carry a rucksack with me), so I can reach 30 before I have realised. It is all very well to say the cyclist was going too fast, but sometimes you forget/don't realise what sort of speed you are doing on the right bike until something like that happens and you are suddenly reminded. I imagine it is very easy to do. Also I don't know the nature of the path in the OP, but certainly paths are not lined with people just waiting to step in front of you, so if you go through a quiet section, you can get a bit complacent, so one has be careful.

Not that I am defending the OP in any way other than his excelent reaction.

Last edited:
Reactions: _aD
Top Bottom