I almost hit a child today & it's shaken me up (video). I Think I'll drive to work tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, cos a cyclist hasn't killed a child on a shared-use path but drivers kill or seriously injure ten children every day. "There was nothing the driver could have done" is a familiar refrain.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'd like to add that I'd have told off my son if he did that. But after I'd given the cyclist a bloody good telling off.

And I would tell you off for not teaching your son not to step into the path of a moving vehicle going at ANY speed whilst probably profusely apologising at the same time!! :whistle::laugh:

.......Before riding off and going 'OHHHH!!' in a pained, cringed manner :blush:

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
No, cos a cyclist hasn't killed a child on a shared-use path but drivers kill or seriously injure ten children every day. "There was nothing the driver could have done" is a familiar refrain.
It's exactly the same "I'm faster than you, get out of my way" mentality, just the kinetic energies are lower

Globalti

Legendary Member
The parents were completely at fault, they should have made the child wear a magic juju flouro jacket, which would have protected him by allowing you to pass cleanly through him leaving no mark.

More seriously; I wouldn't have apologised, I'd have explained very pleasantly to the child and his Dad that unfortunately cyclists and peds are forced to share that path so it would be better for his health if he stayed to the right of that white line.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get quite a few things like this on the Fallowfield Loop. Only go quick when there is no-one about. Tuesday evening (left work early) was full of unpredictable kids and dogs. Fortunately I'd come to standstill and was crawling past when a dog and a tiny child ran into my path.

Just remember to drop the speed when you see folk on shared paths

Col5632

Guru
Really well dealt with, doubt I would have been so calm and due to crappy brakes there is no way I would have stopped as quickly as you did, I really wouldn't beat yourself up about it :okay:

I'm probably wrong but did anyone think the child looked cowed? He seems very meek and wary, almost as if he expected a whack.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Thanks for the replies, it's given me a good boost in terms of getting on the bike tomorrow. I've watched my video 100 times and I still think I should have ridden slower. I sure will learn from this experience and keep my speed low on cycle paths like this one or avoid them altogether. I'm so glad I stopped in time. I've always thought I was a safe cyclist as I have been cycling for about 20 years. I now know that as a cyclist/driver I/we never stop learning, especially from our own near miss experiences.

Initially I thought the cars were stationary traffic, explaining why you were on the path but seeing as they were parked, and given the speed I'd have been on the road there for safety.

As it goes, as has been said, you must have been anticipating the possible problem because of the speed you stopped. You do get those moments, you are riding with options, if you suddenly need to put one of those options in to action because of an sudden change in circumstances does the fact that it works without collision or injury mean you handled things exactly as intended, or you should have been doing more in the first place?

Anything that makes you think and re-evaluate has value, especially as no-one was hurt.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I can't see the vid from here so I'm commenting in gereralities.

Putting it simply cycle paths, segregated or not are not good for going quickly if there's anyone else about. I have a few nice off road tracks round here (parts of the C2C and Hadrians routes) and early in the morning with noone about I can go quickly down them, but as soon as there's anyone around I slow right down. Yes it's annoying to have to build up the pace again, but these are not high speed arterial routes, that's what roads are for.

Segregated paths are a poor idea in my book. The pedestrians are perfectly allowed on either side, so all it does is restrict the cyclist's positioning. It would be easier just to have general shared space paths.

Also I believe in presumed liability, and the general idea of the responsibility to ensure safety being mainly on the larger/faster vehicle's controller. As much as this is true for cars around bikes, exactly the same applies to a cyclist around other, more vulnerable path users such as pedestrians, dogs, kids on scooters, etc. Assume they are going to do something stupid and you are prepared for it when occasionally that happens.

Having said all that, it sounds like you dealt with the situation very well by all accounts on here. There's no point in getting angry about things. Please, don't let this incident put you off cycling, but just be more circumspect around other users. :smile:

Last edited:

J1888

Über Member
No harm done, but those scooters are (IMO) generally a menace.

You get kids flying along the high road on these, parents nowhere in sight...

Top Bottom