I almost hit a child today & it's shaken me up (video). I Think I'll drive to work tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/821...ed-Cambridge/story-26297028-detail/story.html

This story from today's evening news is of course skewed and is choc full of hyperbole, but as its in today's paper and the OP was today I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Kids on those ******g scooters. There are loads round my way. They always wobble all over the place, and usually wind up getting flattened / nearly flattened by cyclists / runners / skateboarders. It's not really the kids fault, more the gormless parents.

OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Thanks for the replies, it's given me a good boost in terms of getting on the bike tomorrow. I've watched my video 100 times and I still think I should have ridden slower. I sure will learn from this experience and keep my speed low on cycle paths like this one or avoid them altogether. I'm so glad I stopped in time. I've always thought I was a safe cyclist as I have been cycling for about 20 years. I now know that as a cyclist/driver I/we never stop learning, especially from our own near miss experiences.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't use paths for that very reason. If you have to then slow down a bit otherwise use the road.
Having been on both ends of cyclist/pedestrian encounters in the last year, I've reached the conclusion that shared-use paths are the Devil's work.

Ah, but I would rather *nearly* hit someone at a reasonably slow speed than be hit on the road at a much higher speed by a car/bus/truck that suddently veers into my path. There is no difference except for the size, weight and speed of what you are hitting.....

Last edited:

Gains84

Wow well done on your reaction speed and keeping the f bombs to only 1 and then interaction with the kid really well defused!!
Think you're being far too hard on yourself, as people have said the longer you leave riding again the more it can grow in the back of your mind into something worse, so get back out there tomorrow! Obviously I think you'll be slower on shared use paths now almost subconsciously but personally I think there is zero fault on your part in this.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Great stop. Well done.
I nearly took out a kid on my way home from my ride yesterday. family were on the raised and kerbed footpath, I was going at around 9-10mph on the tarmacked cyclepath then the kid just ran out in front of me. Not sure how I stopped but I did. Kids owners were not as nice at the chap you encountered. I also did have a bit more space to stop in. Your stop was stunning!

Top Bottom