I am now officially unemployed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Aperitif said:
Brooks saddle with massive springs, and an old leather briefcase that looks like a Scotsman's wallet... ie: old, battered, contains nothing and is hardly ever opened except to give moths the right to light...;)
(Postgrads in Madchester these days eat ciabatta at Pret a Manger...no need to carry sandwiches to 'studies' either).

Evidently yous never seen a Scotsman's wallet either...

TVC

Have you thought about joining CAMRA? Then you could compare leather elbow patches and beards. (I have heard that even the female members of CAMRA have facial hair).

TimO

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
Yes, absolutely, have you seen an academic with out one?
Funnily enough, I can only think of one postgrad who has had a beard around here, and he seems to be a fairly devout Muslim, so I suspect it's more for religious purposes. On the other hand, we do have some quite hairy postdocs. ;)

barq

SamNichols said:
This was of my own volition, by the way, as I'm off to do more Postgraduate.
Now, in the three months before I start in Manchester what can I do? So far I have:
1) Reading
2) Cycling
3) Growing a beard

Come on then, spill it! What are you studying? We can't possibly expect to judge the necessity of a beard without knowing the subject. ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
What's wrong with sandals and socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Keith Oates said:
What's wrong with sandals and socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing, as long as they are knee high socks, none of this teeny weeny ankle socks that some strange people choose to wear.;)

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

In my field a beard is strictly necessary - I am, after all, a Theologian. My speciality is work on the boundary between theology and cultural theory, and my last major piece of work was on urban theology and graffiti.
Feel free to judge me as you see fit.

I've got a few more ideas now, and hopefully shall be heading up to the Lakes with a copy of Wainwright for a few days. In the meantime, I am sleeping, and tomorrow I am going to do a 30 miler with Fran. I am also going to find my accommodation in Manchester. I am going to enjoy being care free for a while.

Top Bottom