I asked before but I am still confused...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok this is about the height of my dropped handlebars...erm..again.

I have lowered the bars by removing five spacers and placing them on top of the bars instead of underneath them. This leaves me with a bloody great hard steel erection sticking up right in front of me which I am not used to:ohmy:... seriously the headset is now a good 5 inches above the bars and it looks dangerous to me if I were to land on the bars in an accidient...not to mention that it looks un cool.

Now I know that before I was advised to cut off something with care as this adjustment is permanent. BUT my dilema is that I want the bars down when unloaded and up when loaded...hmmmm methinks...maybe if I had one thingamywotsitcalled cut shorter than the other and I swapped things around when loaded....but i dont know what the thingamywotsname is actually called in 'pro bike' speak...is it the fork or is there som eother tube that attached to the fork ...or is it the 'stem'? Erm please help me OB 1KNOB:biggrin:

girofan

:angry::biggrin: How about an airbag. Or failing that, a growbag. :blush:;)

Cheddar George

oober member
If you remove that erection, you will never get it up again !!!

What you would normally do is cut this down so you don't need all those spacers (or at least maybe leave one) however that is it unless you buy some new forks.

Lets face it BTFB - you need another bike.... oh yes you do.....you know you do....

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Lets face it BTFB - you need another bike.... oh yes you do.....you know you do....

I do I do I do I do!!!.....can I introduce you to my Mrs?:blush:

...so...am I going to get a sensible answer from anyone?...this erection is starting to hurt.

my suggestion is in Beginners in the thread about raising bars. It may need a little lateral thinking.

Set the bar height to your preferred LOW setting then use a raiser to set them to your preferred HIGH setting.

But why do you want different settings - the bike fits or it doesn't, surely?

Just take care not to ruin the Galaxy for the purpose that you bought it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
An alternative to an adjustable stem is one that's at an angle to the fork steerer, so if you want to raise the bars you just turn the stem over so it points up instead of down.

Your existing stem may even be suitable - try it and see.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

sorry to be a plonker and all that but how would an adjustable stem work for me when I have the bars set low and need to remove the unwanted bit of the fork?
Clearly I'm missing the point here...apologies...:angry::wacko::blush:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

yeah i read it and still no comprende...any way I'm not raising the bars I'm lowering them and want to loose the excess fork pole it creates....I'm still missing the point I reckon...

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...wait...I think I hear a penny dropping....

so I take the bars right down...cut off the excess fork tubing and swap my stem for an adjust able one so that if I want I can raise up the bars again...am I close?:blush:

Top Bottom