I berated another cyclist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I played with a guy in Glossop and Kinder cc kit this morning , sadly after about the 3rd red I decided it wasn't worth the risks - shame really as I had the measure of him despite being on my SS :smile:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
what if said driver went through the green light with typical driver blinkers on and a kid misjudged the lights or an old person etc etc, as drivers WE have the duty to follow the highway code, as cyclists we don't, nobody tested me on the highway code until i took my test, i'd been riding a bike for 15 years before that and had never heard of the highway code.

Interesting point. The HC is of course written by the DRIVING standards authority...

Norm

what if said driver went through the green light with typical driver blinkers on and a kid misjudged the lights or an old person etc etc, as drivers WE have the duty to follow the highway code, as cyclists we don't, nobody tested me on the highway code until i took my test, i'd been riding a bike for 15 years before that and had never heard of the highway code.
Ignorance might be bliss but it's not a defence. It applies to all road users.

400bhp

Guru

That's a pretty selfish attitude brompton.

Norm

where is this written down?
Funnily enough, in the Highway Code. :rolleyes:

afaik cyclists can't be done for anything under the highway code can they?
The Highway Code isn't itself law for anyone, whether they are cyclists, drivers or pedestrians. However, it does contain laws and failure to follow its recommendations can count against someone in court.

how does a 6 year old know about the hc?
A 6 year old can't be "done for" anything, to use your own logic.

I'd hope, though, that any parent would make their 6 year old sufficiently aware of any laws that they need to follow, as well as the "rules of the road", before allowing them to ride on the highway.

I think part of the point that Redlight was trying to make is that motorists do not routinely berate other motorist when they speed, for example. We know speeding is rife on our roads (far more so than RLJing) but how often do you see a driver admonishing another driver for braking the speed limit? With the OP's case, RLJing is usually perceived as an act of flagrant lawbreaking (disobeying a signal) and people tend to get more het up about it, whilst doing 40 in a 30 limit rarely elicits an animated response from fellow drivers, even though it makes the conditions less pleasant for pedestrians and cyclists etc.

Correct, and I've yet to see other than a police car rushing after an RLJing motorist to admonish them. And plenty of motorists RLJ.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It does happen, sorry to burst your view. I've a number of videos of motorists who are being prosecuted for the offence. That and those companies I've contacted about red light jumping have been admonished by me. Loads of other camera cyclists do the same too.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Funnily enough, in the Highway Code. :rolleyes:

fair enough...:smile:

The Highway Code isn't itself law for anyone, whether they are cyclists, drivers or pedestrians. However, it does contain laws and failure to follow its recommendations can count against someone in court.

fair point, however following the link led to 'cycling offences', which curiously are to be judged by other cyclist views. so i guess, we are judged by our peers, which is how it should be.....see here

A 6 year old can't be "done for" anything, to use your own logic.

yes they can in extreme circumstances, but not relevant here. i was just making a general comment.

I'd hope, though, that any parent would make their 6 year old sufficiently aware of any laws that they need to follow, as well as the "rules of the road", before allowing them to ride on the highway.

i agree, but not all parents are upstanding pillars of the community.

Dilbert

Can't get the quote thing to work on this:

fair point, however following the link led to 'cycling offences', which curiously are to be judged by other cyclist views. so i guess, we are judged by our peers, which is how it should be.....see hereThat just applies to Dangerous Cycling, which is a specific offence which applies only to cycling. This will be done by an expert witness, so getting a gang of like minded individuals off here and turning up at court is not going to help :rolleyes: .

Reading it I also think there is leeway based on the individual and I have a vague recollection of a post on here once that linked to a case where someone with learning difficulties was acquitted of this charge based on subsection 3.

As for the rest, unless it states otherwise it applies to all road users.

Top Bottom