I berated another cyclist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1537371"]
How are they causing problems?[/quote]

In the same way that as a police officer I feel embarrased and 'tarred' by updates like BSRU's recent 'Swindow Rammer', where the officer was shite.

They make us all look bad, and increase the perception that we're all the same.

That doesn't stop us from speaking up when we see some plonker causing problems for others on the roads.

You must be pretty busy chasing after and speaking to all those drivers.

I don't understand this fixation with berating cyclists whether you're a cyclist or a motorists. Motorists don't berate other motorists, only cyclists and cyclists don't berate motorists for the uneventful law breaking, just cyclists. What is this fixation on cyclists?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
But I do correct motorists, more so than cyclists. I tend not to do it there and then, but instead via my YouTube channel. Plenty of cyclists upbraid motorists on their careless actions. "Chasing after them" is, mostly, hyberbole.

Oh, and brompton, that was more of a general comment. I added the camera bit as that seems to be taken as a reason for being angry. Why would so many people leap to the conclusion of angryness without justification?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, and red light jumping most definitely causes problems for others, even when there is no conflict with pedestrians or other vehicles in the incident in question.

RLJ'ing is totally safe. It'll only emotionally scar for life the poor driver who hits one of these idiots when they (the RLJ'er) have a moment of mis-judgement (and it happens to us all - so why increase the risks?). I'm sure the average driver travelling through a green light at a legal speed would love to see a cyclist bounce off his car (best case scenario). PLus the RLJ'ers can then rant about how said motorist should have been ready to stop etc, etc..

IMO if you can't follow the highway code yourself then you can't expect others to either!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Motorists don't berate other motorists

Where do you live - I want to come there! I have lost count of the amount of near punch-ups resulting from drivers confronting other because one needs to back into a space to let the other driver past which take place outside of my house.

Also my dad is a maniac driver and everyone else on the road is a "c***" or a "p****" and he will often tail people on the motorway, waving his arms, telling them to move over so he can go faster.

Needless to say I don't get in his car unless it's an absolute emergency. However, I assume that unfortunately he's not the only one like this.

Also my dad is a maniac driver and everyone else on the road is a "c***" or a "p****" and he will often tail people on the motorway, waving his arms, telling them to move over so he can go faster.

But that's more akin to shouting at the telly than actually confronting someone in person.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
But that's more akin to shouting at the telly than actually confronting someone in person.

Hmm, kind of - he does gesture to the other drivers though - or flips them the bird or does the w***** sign at them.
I have said that one day he will do it to thew rong person and get run off the road or followed home and stabbed.

I don't understand it - when out of the car he's a completely different person, but he really is a dangerous psycho in the car.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I gave some "friendly" advice to another commuter i got stuck behind on a cycle path that was still wet through after the rain that he needed some mudgaurds and some lights, the hi viz vest he had on was totally pointless behind the back pack and 6 am misty gloom.

fatblokish

Guru
What are the implications, legitimate and moral, of a car-driver, on catching up with a RLJ'er following a red-light jump, honking his horn as he passes said cyclist. Punishment action or genuine need to warn arguably dangerous cyclist of drivers presence? Or both, or neither.

I am tempted.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Snigger. 'own issues' fine thanks. Wasn't a raised tone or aggresive, and no he wasn't a 2ft midget.

Have commuted by bike long enough to remain calm no matter what. He was just a tit, who could have been knocked off and injured for the sake of saving himself almost 20s. Perhaps he was racing me?

why do you think he was a tit? why do you think he was racing you? have a read of the rlj thread, some good points.

if you ever go to a 2nd world country like thailand or vietnam then you'll think there's a lot of idiots there..lol

Origamist

Legendary Member
Wha...

you're joking, right?

I think part of the point that Redlight was trying to make is that motorists do not routinely berate other motorist when they speed, for example. We know speeding is rife on our roads (far more so than RLJing) but how often do you see a driver admonishing another driver for breaking the speed limit? With the OP's case, RLJing is usually perceived as an act of flagrant lawbreaking (disobeying a signal) and people tend to get more het up about it, whilst doing 40 in a 30 limit rarely elicits an animated response from fellow drivers, even though it makes the conditions less pleasant for pedestrians and cyclists etc.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
RLJ'ing is totally safe. It'll only emotionally scar for life the poor driver who hits one of these idiots when they (the RLJ'er) have a moment of mis-judgement (and it happens to us all - so why increase the risks?). I'm sure the average driver travelling through a green light at a legal speed would love to see a cyclist bounce off his car (best case scenario). PLus the RLJ'ers can then rant about how said motorist should have been ready to stop etc, etc..

IMO if you can't follow the highway code yourself then you can't expect others to either!
what if said driver went through the green light with typical driver blinkers on and a kid misjudged the lights or an old person etc etc, as drivers WE have the duty to follow the highway code, as cyclists we don't, nobody tested me on the highway code until i took my test, i'd been riding a bike for 15 years before that and had never heard of the highway code.

Top Bottom