I blame Cycle Chat....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that a 2014 model Defy 2?

I've had one from new (Oct 2013) cracking bike, still ride it regularly on the commute.. reckon its done 10,000 miles so far

Hope you enjoy It (I'm sure you will)

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Is that a 2014 model Defy 2?

I've had one from new (Oct 2013) cracking bike, still ride it regularly on the commute.. reckon its done 10,000 miles so far

Hope you enjoy It (I'm sure you will)

Good spot. It is a 2014 Defy 2 barely used by the looks of it. Guy reckons it's done about 100 summer miles in his ownership and sat in someone's living room virtually untouched before him. It's immaculate and showing very little wear on the OE pads/tyres that came from factory.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Thanks @Ajax Bay. Currently weighing in at 75kg (way more than i should be) so I wasn't far off.

It's a small frame and I am 5'6 so it puts me in between xs and s. Seat was most of the way back on its rails when I bought it so slid forwards a bit. Going to experiment over then next week with position. Height wise it was done with my heal on the pedal at almost bottom of the stroke. Still a cm or so low but doesn't feel too far out when riding.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's not the Dark side.

This is the dark side!
be9aca_0eab61528e47e09185408fbc5d4f6348.webp
Isn't there one up for sale on here?

Ajax Bay

Guru
By that measure I need 162 and 182 PSI. I better nip out and sort it.
I offered an easy 'rule of thumb' but for riders, like you, well away from the starting point of 70kg, using the graph is best and for a rider weight of 116kg that would be 114psi front and 144psi rear. Those are at or over the max specified pressures so I like your image (above). Anyway I don't think a rider of your reputation needs to take advice on this. But I suspect you do not ride on 25-622 tyres.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Like you I crossed over from mountain biking to the road about 7 years ago so I hope these comments are of some help.

You don't say hew tall you are but going by the planks on the shed your saddle is way too low in relation to the bars; even an untrained amateur like me needs them level or the bars an inch or two below the saddle. The saddle angle looks right, just cupping the pelvic bones so as not to throw your weight forwards. You can pad the bar tape with the Specialized Body Geometry gel pad system, not cheap but very comfortable, or just use that thin spongey wrap sheet that's used for protecting stuff in the post, laid in a strip so as to fill the gap between the bar and the cable and create a wider platform. Your bars are old-style; compact bars are better for an amateur as there's less drop. Be sure to get the right width though. If you weigh 75 kgs (same as me) then pressures of 95 rear/90 front are about right, buy some decent cotton wall tyres like Veloflex Open Corsas and use latex inners for a superbly grippy smooth ride. Wear mitts with padded gel palms. Ditch all flappy clothing as it will annoy the hell out of you. The braking won't feel as good if you're used to discs but fit some softer compound pads, Swisstop green are excellent, and get them set up right and they will be adequate even braking from the hoods. The good news is that after a few rides the body does get accustomed to the different position although riding down on the drops takes a little longer. You will get a lot fitter as road cycling involves longer periods of sustained effort and you're not constantly stopping like you do off road.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Thanks @Globalti

The bars are very slightly above saddle height by about half an inch. Still got to experiment with setup which the first thing to try was flipping the stem back or dropping some of the spacers back above the stem. Going to ride it for a couple of months first but I think a bar swap will be on the cards. A possible problem or difference is me being used to a very upright position on the MTB so not going to rush any major setup changes until I have found my feet. Brake pads are a cheap swap so that will be getting done sooner rather than later as its not worth risking my teeth when I can't get the thing to stop. Went up to 100 rear and 80 front the other night and still felt OK as far a a skinny tyre no supsension bike goes.

I bought the road bike to get out for when I am time limited and just can't be arsed to get muddied up and wash the bike.

Off to the Planet X sale after work so will pick up some padded mitts and possibly a bit more road type clothing. The ride a couple of nights ago was the first time in years I went out in full lycra setup. Felt a bit awkward as I don't exactly have a trim figure at the minute. @ianrauk will be pleased to know I must have blended in with all the other roadies as every rider gave me a cheerful smile and wave as we passed by. Hit rate for greetings from roadies when dressed in baggies on the MTB was about 50% so I feel accepted into the community :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I get sore muscles in my lower back too and for years I used a flipped stem, thinking that the more upright position alleviated the discomfort. Then I went on holiday in Scotland and borrowed a cousin's bike. It had the same size CAAD5 frame that I have on my best bike, but it had a longer, unflipped stem which gave me a lower, more stretched out position. To my surpise, I found it comfortable and have now adopted the same setup on my bikes. I think it was the curvature of my lower back that was the problem, not bending forward as such.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same experience here; I thought my Roubaix was the only option with quite an upright endurance position and when I bought the hooligan bike I was worried that I would find it too stretched out and too low but actually within a couple of rides my body had become accustomed to the lower position and it's no less comfortable. I can even ride on the drops for a 30 minute TT now without too much difficulty.

And yes, the need to drive to ride and the constant filth and need for washing and maintenance were what contributed to my falling out of love with mountain biking after 21 years as the world's no.1 fanatic. Another factor was the constat bitching and bickering in the mountain club I rode with.

If the OP Jody is interested in learning more about the lore of road cycling, I recommend a small book called The Escape Artist by the journalist Matt Seaton. Quick to read and ends in tragedy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Same experience here; I thought my Roubaix was the only option with quite an upright endurance position and when I bought the hooligan bike I was worried that I would find it too stretched out and too low but actually within a couple of rides my body had become accustomed to the lower position and it's no less comfortable. I can even ride on the drops for a 30 minute TT now without too much difficulty.

And yes, the need to drive to ride and the constant filth and need for washing and maintenance were what contributed to my falling out of love with mountain biking after 21 years as the world's no.1 fanatic. Another factor was the constat bitching and bickering in the mountain club I rode with.

If the OP Jody is interested in learning more about the lore of road cycling, I recommend a small book called The Escape Artist by the journalist Matt Seaton. Quick to read and ends in tragedy.

£2.04 delivered off ebay so took a punt on that book. Should be here in the next few days.

Luckily the nearest set of traisl are approximately 3 minutes ride and into woodlands. But within 15-30 minutes drive I have the PDNP, Wharncliffe, Parkwood springs, Lady Cannings and a host of other riding areas. But like you say somedays you know the trails are going to be filthy and there are only so many loops of the all weather Trans Penine Trail you can do.

Top Bottom