I blame Cycle Chat....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Globalti or @Crackle

Would something like these be a better alternative to the bars I currently have?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBPX6061SD/planet-x-road-bar-strada-shallow-drop
What about ME - I suggested them first! :cry:

ColinJ

Those are the kind of bars that we were talking about. Make sure that your stem clamps 31.8 mm - I was already buying a longer stem for my new bars so I bought one suited to them. My old, shorter stem was designed for wimpier bars.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
What about ME - I suggested them first! :cry:

I was going to tag you in it also but thought it might look a bit urgent and needy tagging three people. Sorry @ColinJ :hugs:

Will have a look in the sales tonight or order some when I have a spare minute. £20 doesn't seem too steep for a set of bars.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My son in law did just the same on Sunday..Giant TCR ..he said NEVER

As for your first impressions...
I sometimes notice my forearms touch the upper bar..but i tend to ride a bit more upright, so the seat is about the same length as mtb Cube stereo in the distance from seat to stem.
Tyres ,i run at around 100 F&R
As for brakes i just put the salmon pads in the front and there ok..tho after 180 discs and 4 pot calipers there some scary shyte :laugh:

Buz and tingling....as said ,padding or better gel gloves and riding position.

Do a few 15 25 milers to get comfy..enjoy the new bike:okay:

Last edited:

ColinJ

i blame cycle chat for loads of things :laugh:
Yeah, bloody forum - if it hadn't been for CycleChat, shirokazan wouldn't have forced me to have free coffee and cake last Saturday! :whistle:

ColinJ

I'm eagerly anticipating the reciprocal gesture, Colin. :hungry:
Well, if you don't make it up here, I'll be coffee/cakemeister on our proposed Leighton Buzzard/Chilterns ride***!

*** If any of you fancy the sound of that, it is possibly going to be on Sat, 5th Aug. That depends on me heading down south for a family gathering. If I don't make it to that party, then the other possible date would be Sun, 24th Sept. Watch out for details in the rides forum.

johnnyb47

Guru
I blame Cycle chat for inspiring me to do more miles, motivating me to enjoy my cycling and helping me through some dark times in my personal life but most of all I blame it for all the good friends I've made here :-)

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Quick update. Bars and tape arrived last week so swapped them out over the weekend and had a play with the setup. Decided to flip the stem back as there is less reach on the new bars. Bike now feels less twitchy when on the hoods and doesn't seem to put as much pressure on my hands. The Cinelli cork/gel tape feels great on the new bars. They feel larger in diameter now but way comfier than with the previous tape. Re-wrapping was a relatively straight forward job. So thanks for the suggestion @ColinJ @Crackle

Braking on the hoods seems to feel better now I have been on it for a few rides. Don't know if the pads have come back with a bit of use or I have got used to the road bike. Lack of rear suspension for comfort is taking a bit of getting used to, as is trying to avoid potholes rather than just riding into them.

Need to take it out for a decent run but came off my MTB last week and twisted my knee a little so it will have to wait.

I also have my first big ride of about 80 miles planned in a few weeks. Already bought some Chamois cream in preparation :laugh:

Top Bottom