I can't back-pedal!!! Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

dodgy said:
Well to me at least, the problem seems very straight forward. I can visualise precisely what you're talking about. You've managed to free up your freehub now anyway, but if it has stuck once, it will probably do it again. The grease has probably been washed out of the freehub and now it is seizing with all the crap in there.

Dave.

I cleaned it out but maybe haven't lubed it properly. I haven't actually ridden it properly yet so it could have seized. I think I might take it apart and lube it up again and then post again tomorrow if I'm still having problems. I can't say how thankful I am for everyones help. Is this forum always this responsive and helpful?;)

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
My money is on the chain not being routed correctly or not sitting correctly on the jockey wheels.

Once again, I couldn't rule that out. What would I do about that?

yenrod

Reckon your freewheels siezed !

If soo try spraying a load of WD40 between the spokes and the inside of the biggest sprocket !

Though id get it to a bike shop for further diagnosis 1st...

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
My money is on the chain not being routed correctly or not sitting correctly on the jockey wheels.

Having recently replaced the complete drive-train and rear mech (and threading the chain the wrong way through the rear mech :biggrin:) I can say that the results sound very familiar ;)
Tut ... 60+ years of bike riding and fettling ... Pft!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yorkshireman said:
Having recently replaced the complete drive-train and rear mech (and threading the chain the wrong way through the rear mech :o) I can say that the results sound very familiar :wacko:
Tut ... 60+ years of bike riding and fettling ... Pft!

That makes 2 of us then and possibly 3 :ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Funtboy said:
Once again, I couldn't rule that out. What would I do about that?

Have you access to another bike so you can see how the chain runs through the rear mech and would I be right in saying that you split the chain and rejoined again afterwards ?

bonj2

You've turned your bike into a fixie! Leave it like that!

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Tynan said:
took a bike apart and put it back together and don't what the parts are called?

Okay I was probably exaggerating a bit. I took the wheels off and the back-wheely bits (the freehub, if you will). I trued the back wheel as well. I can tell you it was very false before I got my hands on it.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

By the way, many thanks to all who've helped me today. What a great forum! I hope to catch some of you tomorrow if I don't get anywhere with my freehub.
I also have another bike with disk brakes on it, oh lord, they are a fantastic mystery and they make strange noises. Another thread for that one I think.
Cheers all

Top Bottom