I Can't Indicate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FailedComic

Regular
Hey. Sorry if this has been covered before (I tried searching to no avail!)

I'm basically a complete newbie to cycling. I just bought a road bike last week, and although I'm getting a bit of confidence on the road, I'm struggling with indicating. In fact, every time I take a hand off the handlebar I just swerve all over the place.

I've tried and tried. Obviously I don't want to land head first into an oncoming car, so I was wondering if people had any tips to help me.

I'd say just relax. As with anything, the more you think about it the worse it gets. So try and relax and just concentrate on your surroundings, as your confidence grows everything else will fall into place and become second nature, then before you know it you'll be a hand signal master :thumbsup:

Rob500

Don't worry about FC. I was exactly the same. After you've clocked up a few miles it'll become easier.

It'll come but often being aware of your surroundings a look over the shoulder and slotting into a gap can save you having to indicate and being in a position where its clear what you are doing helps too. When I think back to when I started again I dreaded signalling but now I do it almost without thinking.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I'd say just relax. As with anything, the more you think about it the worse it gets. So try and relax and just concentrate on your surroundings, as your confidence grows everything else will fall into place and become second nature, then before you know it you'll be a hand signal master :thumbsup:
+1 about relaxing.

Also: don't look at your hand. It doesn't need you to look at it to make it signal. Don't look at your front wheel or the ground. Look straight ahead and slightly up if you can (try to get into a habit of lifting your chin just before you need to signal). Keep on pedalling too.

I know this sounds a bit silly, but try it and see. Oh, and practise, practise, practise.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
just get used to riding one handed too... I can get a much better view of the road behind by taking my right hand off the bars. Plus it's nice to give your arms or palms a rest, one at a time.

There is another way, you wear all dark clothes, no vis, light or helmet...then just don't indicate.
Seen loads a them on the road.

Oh, and you don't have to stop at red lights or go AROUND roundabouts :smile:

It will get easier with time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I found it hard too. To begin with, I found sticking my hand out level with my hip made it easier to balance. With a bit of practice, you can then start raising it a bit higher.

Good luck.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
You'll also need to learn to look over your shoulder too.
Try taking one hand off the bars somewhere off road. An empty car park for example. Don't put your arm out, and look a divvy, just get used to taking your hand off the bars. You could start by just lifting your hand up off the bars eventually maybe put you hand down by your side.

As others have said relax, don't concentrate on your hand just look ahead and it'll get easier.

Ethan

Like the others have said,it will come with time :smile:
There is no real art to indicating, just practice!

Like others have said, dont think about it! Just relax and take your hand off the bar.
Look forwards as if you were riding perfectly normally, you'll get it in no time!

Just dont be a dope like me and try indicate, break and turn at the same time :laugh:

When I first started riding road bikes I was exactly the same, even though I had been riding MTB for years. The steering on a roadie is much lighter, but you will get used to it. Just keep going and before long you will get there.

Hebe

getting better all the time
It does get easier with time and practice. I'm fine with right turn signals now but my left ones are still improving - I am definitely going to try Andy_R's chin tip above. I find it easier to signal when I'm going in a straight line at a decent speed, it's much harder at low speeds and when turning. I started out by practising signalling when coasting then I didn't have to pedal and signal at the same time (yes, I know...)

Top Bottom