I couldn't help myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just can't help myself. I really hate:angry: people using mobile phones when driving!

So when on a part of my commute where I get off my bike to cross at some lights (a right turn that is illegal otherwise and I am a good boy:smile:) I spied a taxi driver having a wee chat on his mobile whilst waiting at the lights. So I couldn't help stopping and having a chat.

I mention that he shouldn't be driving whilst on the phone and that I have caught him on camera. His answer, 'I'm not driving at the moment am I?'

I of course point out that the law makes no discrimination in such cases! Of course I am sure he would have halted his conversation as soon as the lights turned green anyway :biggrin::biggrin:.

Of course I have it on camera and I will have a look at it later (maybe upload it). Should I complain to the cab firm or should I just get a life:ohmy:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Go on, report him !! :biggrin:

Teso sells bluetooth headsets for about £12 so there's no excuse for using a handset these days.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The votes are coming in positive so far.....

I've just had a look at this thread http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1173

I really think there should be zero tolerance of mobile phone use. I think I will complain.

Out of interest has anyone ever complained to a taxi driver for using a mobile phone whilst you were a fare? Woe betide the taxi driver who does it whilst I'm in the taxi! :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Arch said:
Isn't it technically driving if the engine's on..?

If the engine is running he is technically driving and the police can prosecute. Also worth talking to the licensing department at the council, they may threaten to suspend his taxi licence.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hairy Jock,

I'm not sure if I want to go that far I just think the chap should get a reprimand.

I have posted the video online

His exact answer if you can't hear it is 'Does it look like I'm driving?'

Pedantic mode on:

He isn't wearing a seat belt and as far as I am aware he is allowed to do this when looking for a fare (anyone know why!!??). His hire light wasn't lit and he had no passengers.....:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh forgot to ask, how do I find out who to contact? The writing on the side of his taxi said Colquhoun Taxis no 778, but I thought all the black cabs in Glasgow worked for T.O.A. Am I wrong?

I can only find a Colquhoun Taxis in Edinburgh.

ChrisKH

Guru
I like the wagging finger.

I tend to just give them three fingers. As in three penalty points.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

ChrisKH said:
I like the wagging finger.

I tend to just give them three fingers. As in three penalty points.

Ah yes I did wag my finger a little (where has the embarrassed smiley gone!) . In fact if you look at the taxi window you can see a nice reflection of me pointing at the camera as well! (I had a my lovely blue top on today....:biggrin:)

I have used the three finger sign in the past along with the 'read between the lines' comment :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hairy Jock said:
You could try contacting the Licensing Section and just say that you trying to contact the driver.

Thanks for that. I've just phoned them and they have confirmed that it should be a T.O.A taxis. A little e-mail will be winging its way shortly......:biggrin:

JamesAC

I pulled alongside a bmw (what else) in the ASL (where else) at a red TL. There were two business types in the front: the driver on his mobile phone. I leaned down and leered through the window at him. He chucked the phone across to his mate, and then tried to pretend that he was simply resting his head on his hand!!! I grinned in an evil sort of way and made rather rude gestures.

There does seem to a lot of it going on. I think about 1 car in 10 has the driver using a mobile whilst driving. Given that some research says that it is 4 times more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol, I think it's time it was stamped on hard.

Top Bottom