"I didn't buy a bike to oil it!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would say that you should suggest he gets one of the latest long life derailleurs that's enclosed in the hub ;) but it sounds like the concept of easing off while downshifting might be too complicated and you'd be facing a succession of bent plates and splintered cogs :sad:
I doubt he would have gone for it. The PROs don't use it, see.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I doubt he would have gone for it. The PROs don't use it, see.
Well, at least not lately:
003%2B%25282%2529.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Indeed
pic-581-s.jpg

And I wonder how many of the people who laugh at 3 speed hubs could even come close to matching that record on their fancy carbon machine with the supposedly superior gear system?

Ajax Bay

Guru
And I wonder how many of the people who laugh at 3 speed hubs could even come close to matching that record on their fancy carbon machine with the supposedly superior gear system?
I am not among those who 'laugh' at 3 speed hubs. I do think 'saving' one from a bike that is otherwise complete 'for a future project/build' is not worth it - which was the OP question asked.
Edit: Misread of advert. Deleted. Thanks @tyred .

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I am not among those who 'laugh' at 3 speed hubs. I do think 'saving' one from a bike that is otherwise complete 'for a future project/build' is not worth it - which was the OP question asked.
Suggest you may have exaggerated the standard of the record you featured above - great clip btw. Pretty sure I did better than 9:53 for most of my 100 mile days on last year's LEJOG, and that's carrying kit for unsupported (B&B), on a steel bike.

9:53 is the amount of time he beat whatever the previous record was. It's difficult to read but I think the record he set was 3 hr 45 mins for 100 miles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
9:53 is the amount of time he beat whatever the previous record was. It's difficult to read but I think the record he set was 3 hr 45 mins for 100 miles.
Not so hard to read with my messed-up eyesight, so here's what it looks like to me:

"ON Saturday, March 19th, Bert James lowered the 100-Mile Record by 9 mins 53 secs, setting up a wonderful time of 3 hrs 45 mins 51 secs (subject to official confirmation). Every cyclist will be thrilled bythese wonderful figures. Think of it! Thanks to the help of his Sturmey-Archer 3 speed Gear, James was able to average the amazing speed of approximately 27 miles per hour!

" "A.K" Hub. Specially designed for Road Racing and Record breaking. Ratios 7.24% Increase 6.74% Decrease.

" "A.M." Hub. This Hub is strongly recommended to the Club rider, for Massed Start Racing and Record attempts in Hilly Country. Ratios 15.55% Increase 13.46% Decrease.

"THERE'S A STURMEY-ARCHER GEAR FOR EVERY CLASS OF CYCLIST

"STURMEY-ARCHER GEARS LIMITED, NOTTINGHAM."

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

3 hours 45 minutes 51 seconds

http://vegetariancac.org/club-history/

About 26.5mph.

Edit. Beaten to it by @mjray

Reactions: mjr

fimm

Veteran
The Vegetarian Cycling and Athletic club... sounds like a modern thing, not a bit of it, founded in 1887!

And, of interest currently " Walter Greaves, a one-armed member of the Yorkshire Branch, set up an outstanding year’s mileage record of 45,385.75 miles – that’s an outrageous average of nearly 125 miles each and every day for a year." (They don't say which year, but sometime in the 1920s or 30s).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And, of interest currently " Walter Greaves, a one-armed member of the Yorkshire Branch, set up an outstanding year’s mileage record of 45,385.75 miles – that’s an outrageous average of nearly 125 miles each and every day for a year." (They don't say which year, but sometime in the 1920s or 30s).
If he didn't post it on Strava it didn't happen.

Top Bottom