I didn't think it would be that wet outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
HLaB said:
Who was it that posted about taking their mudguards off ? :sad:

Potsy...........:wacko: I'll dob him in.

TBH we've had a bit of drizzle here that's it.

Remember last summer walking in the house with waterproofs on and water was gushing off me - the family burst out laughing.....

Blooming puddles of water all the way up to the bathroom............ I had the last laugh..they get wet a week or so later going from school to car - about 500 metres away..:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
it was an unpleasant suprise wasn't it

a nasty fright the first time I tried the brakes, when the mitts got sodden, thankfully I had the gillet in the pannier for unforseeables, a hopeful search failed to uncover the overshoes though sadly

it was fine after the first ten minutes of indignation, although I had a sense of an accident about to happen almost the whole way home, thankfully all good

shoes are on their second stuffing of evening standard

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well yesterday morning I checked the weather and it said light rain in the afternoon. I did consider driving, but thought "don't be such a wuss". Stuffed a waterproof into my pannier.

It was very pleasant on the way in, hazy sunshine. It was very fine rain on the way home - to start with - and it was really nice. Refreshing and peaceful.

But then it came down in rods. My top half was fine thanks to my waterproof jacket, but my legs and shoes were utterly drenched. I think I need to get some waterproof shorts.

Need to give the bike a bit of a clean now, as there's bits of dirt stuck to it.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Well even with a couple of stuffings of newspaper in my shoes I had to resort to drying them with the hair dryer this morning. Lightweight overshoes now on the shopping list.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
HaloJ said:
Well even with a couple of stuffings of newspaper in my shoes I had to resort to drying them with the hair dryer this morning. Lightweight overshoes now on the shopping list.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I put mine by a radiator but they were still wet this morning so had to wear my other trainers instead.

doctorj

My first commute yesterday after a dry (in both the literal and figurative senses) run at the weekend. A clip snapped on my pannier on the way in and I lost my front breaks on the way home when somehow the end of the break wire became unbraided, so overall not a complete success, but what fun!

A little disappointed given its all less than 2 months old, but more disappointed because I haven't been able to cycle in again this morning. I can see why you guys love it so much!

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
Damn i got caught out. Zero waterproofs and i got soaked! Shoes where like a swimming pool! ;)

At least your new waterproof housing kept your camera dry...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Origamist said:
At least your new waterproof housing kept your camera dry...

I was a bit worried about my contourHD. It does say it should handle being rained on without any problems, but it was coming down hard.

Turns out it was completely fine, I'm impressed.

Origamist

Legendary Member
benb said:
I was a bit worried about my contourHD. It does say it should handle being rained on without any problems, but it was coming down hard.

I think you'll be OK in all but the heaviest, prolonged downpours - submerging should be avoided though. Gaz has the waterproof housing on his Contour 720 HD - presumably to be on the safe side.

The housing on my GoPro HD is waterproof to 60m, but you have to change the rear door on the housing.

Stephen-D

It was drizzling, i had stupidly taken my rear mudgaurd off because its SUMMER! and low and behold i get soaked! my ass was very very wet ;) unhappy ride to work yesterday! but hey, at least it wakes you up in the morning.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Stephen-D said:
It was drizzling, i had stupidly taken my rear mudgaurd off because its SUMMER! and low and behold i get soaked! my ass was very very wet ;) unhappy ride to work yesterday! but hey, at least it wakes you up in the morning.

Why did you take a donkey with you?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
benb said:

If it is peeing it down, the water will get under the lens cover. To dry and clean it you have to take it off which is a pain in the ass. If water gets under it, there is potential for it to get into the main housing of the camera. Mine has surivied many downpoors without it. But after I saw the water under the lens cover, that was it, waterproof case for me.

Top Bottom