I "dislike" this time of year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
From a coldness point of view etc it doesn't bother me, it's all the bugs going round.

I had a pinched nerve in my hip that kept me off the bike for a while, literally as soon as I got over this I went down with a flu bug that destroyed me for a week, then I had 1-2 days clear then my sinus are stuffed with goop.

It's really getting me down.

screenman

Legendary Member
You are lucky if you had flu that only lasted a week, it has knocked me out for closer to months before now.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm still not over it totally, the cough is still with me and I'm sweating bullets, but the blocked sinus is killing me, feels like I have a clamp across my face.

I had it last year and like you said it destroyed me for weeks it's horrible.

Alan O

Über Member
From a coldness point of view etc it doesn't bother me, it's all the bugs going round.

I had a pinched nerve in my hip that kept me off the bike for a while, literally as soon as I got over this I went down with a flu bug that destroyed me for a week, then I had 1-2 days clear then my sinus are stuffed with goop.

It's really getting me down.
Ach, I've had some sort of flu bug that's kept me off my bike for a couple of weeks now! Real shame, as I love the weather when it's a bit cold but clear and crisp.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Ach, I've had some sort of flu bug that's kept me off my bike for a couple of weeks now! Real shame, as I love the weather when it's a bit cold but clear and crisp.

I'm the same, previous years I have been more active in the autumn/winter months, I had even started to brave misty mornings which was a no-no for me before.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I doubt you'd be back in action after a week of genuine influenza. Maybe after a cold, yes.

We wash hands as soon as we enter the house and I do before sitting down at my desk and we don't suffer many colds.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went out for a little ride on Saturday,but don't till the doc' as i'm supposed to be off cycling for 4 weeks after my hernia op' and it was only 17 days into that 4 weeks.:secret: I was bored and wanted to see if the recommended 4 weeks was a bit excessive. I was ok,so i thought the usual medical advice was being on the extreme side, so as to cover themselves and stop the likes of me doing myself an injury. Anyway,the cold wind was terrible! My whole body was freeing. I even descended hills while breaking every now and then to stop me building up speed and feeling the horrible cold even more. I had to take a pain killer when i got back. Not for my hernia 'op,but for my throbbing teeth caused by gulping in freezing air!:cold:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Before my hip issue I went out on a cold morning Accy, and didn't wear my merino beany thing under my crash helmet, oh my the brain freeze!

Terrible! I 'manned up' on Saturday and decided not to wear longs, which i haven't worn since about March(I'm trying to last in shorts up till November). The legs were ok,but my face,fingers and arms were freezing. I even had a thermal vest a merino wool jersey and a so called winter thermal jersey/jacket on.:cold:

'Oh yes,this heatwave's set to continue right through to November', someone said to me a few weeks ago.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm still not over it totally, the cough is still with me and I'm sweating bullets, but the blocked sinus is killing me, feels like I have a clamp across my face.

I had it last year and like you said it destroyed me for weeks it's horrible.

I had a problem with blocked sinuses following a cold last year.Tried the various sinus relief tablets with no success.Went to the village pharmacy.The pharmacist suggested a hay fever medication Result condition cleared up in two days.

I had a problem with blocked sinuses following a cold last year.Tried the various sinus relief tablets with no success.Went to the village pharmacy.The pharmacist suggested a hay fever medication Result condition cleared up in two days.

FWIW these spray up hay fever things put out by Tesco and the like are the same formulation as Beconase, absolutely identical. I was prescribed it for an ear infection, and continued with the Tesco stuff to the end of summer. It's the first time in decades I've had a proper sense of smell, no hay fever, and been clearing my throat every few minutes.

si_c

Guru
Lovely riding at this time of year. Still in a short sleeve jersey and shorts at the moment, my only concession being light full finger gloves for the morning chill on my commute. If this continues I'll likely still be wearing short sleeve through to November.

Top Bottom