I done gone and got me a project - rust!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Picked this up for a bargain £30 from eBay

A nice wee blacksmith's post vice and stand. Quite a bit of work to do though.

I need to figure out if there's a wedge missing that would explain the leaf spring being loose and not pushing the jaws open.

Anyway, step one - take it to bits

The bolts holding the top bracket on will never release their nuts so I'll grind them off tomorrow.

Now what about getting the rust off. A 5l bottle of evapo-rust costs as much as the vice did so I'm thinking of a vinegar/salt solution unless anyone's got a better idea?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drill and wire brush attachment

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Drill and wire brush attachment

small angle grinder and wire cup brush. Beware the bristles fire off and stick in your legs through trousers - annoying rather than causing injury, but a reminder that goggles are essential

It'd take years with drill driven brush

Cerdic

Electro-something... You need a bucket, soda crystals, a couple of crocodile clips and some electricity. Gets all the rust off like magic while you are doing something more interesting, like cycling or having a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake!

I can't remember the exact process, but it is pretty simple and there will be plenty of people on YouTube who will explain the details...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Electro-something... You need a bucket, soda crystals, a couple of crocodile clips and some electricity. Gets all the rust off like magic while you are doing something more interesting, like cycling or having a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake!

I can't remember the exact process, but it is pretty simple and there will be plenty of people on YouTube who will explain the details...
Electrolysis. It converts rust to magnetite and leaves the good steel unharmed. See here.......

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-prcdrvb_E[/media]

I was originally going to suggest sticking the smaller bits in your swanky forge and giving them a tap to get the oxide layer off, but you have no way of knowing how they were originally tempered so after quenching their properties would be different.

The work surface looks unsalvageable. Replace it, chop it up and use it for pattern welding practice?

Top Bottom