I don't know if I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or a hose goes before the hydraulic fans start wittering on.

I swore, remarkably quietly, which the chap in front of me said afterwards commented made him think "That doesn't sound good, but I ain't stopping here!" because, despite being a very serious audaxer in possession of a thoroughly well maintained and fully functioning set of rim brakes, he wasn't convinced he safely could. Then I dropped off the saddle onto the top tube, leant back as far possible, and put my feet down (heel first - hurray for trainers and flat pedals) while hauling on the font brake as much as I could. I managed to stop _just_ before a bit where the road, up to that point distinctly downwards, dropped away in a style best described as plummeting.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5233201, member: 10119"]I swore, remarkably quietly, which the chap in front of me said afterwards commented made him think "That doesn't sound good, but I ain't stopping here!" because, despite being a very serious audaxer in possession of a thoroughly well maintained and fully functioning set of rim brakes, he wasn't convinced he safely could. Then I dropped off the saddle onto the top tube, leant back as far possible, and put my feet down (heel first - hurray for trainers and flat pedals) while hauling on the font brake as much as I could. I managed to stop _just_ before a bit where the road, up to that point distinctly downwards, dropped away in a style best described as plummeting.[/QUOTE]
:eek: :ohmy: at least you had the front brake, imagine trying to stop downhill with only a rear. :B)

:eek: :ohmy: at least you had the front brake, imagine trying to stop downhill with only a rear. :B)

You know I'm thinking about it. I'm not convinced it wasn't the front that went. I'd have to find the ride report to check.

I do remember looking around and realising there was only walls or bumpy downhill stony fields to ride off the road into, so I was going to have to stop it somehow...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5233237, member: 10119"]You know I'm thinking about it. I'm not convinced it wasn't the front that went. I'd have to find the ride report to check.

I do remember looking around and realising there was only walls or bumpy downhill stony fields to ride off the road into, so I was going to have to stop it somehow...[/QUOTE]
Only having a back brake would lead to a big black stripe on the road and a big brown one elsewhere in my experience. :ohmy:

KneesUp

Guru
For cable discs, Avid BB7s are great as said upthread. But also having experienced TRP Spyres I have got to say they would be my preference. Budget dictates your purchase of though.
The cable operated hydraulics (such as TRP HY:RD) seem like a good idea - the benefits of hydraulics with the ease of servicing of cable.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5233252, member: 10119"]I checked. It was the front!
View attachment 407306
That's me in the green, a few moments before the fateful kerr-ping (with thanks to @Skuhravy whose photo I just pinched)[/QUOTE]
:eek: :ohmy: :stop:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The cable operated hydraulics (such as TRP HY:RD) seem like a good idea - the benefits of hydraulics with the ease of servicing of cable.

Do you not have to service the hydraulic parts too? To me it sound like double work and more chance of issues.

No but at least I know not to assume that someone currently living the fens hasn't necessarily always lived there and never ridden anywhere else! :laugh:
But I never assumed anything, until you posted I never knew where you lived, I merely mentioned the fens, because I know they are flat,

There you go assuming that I was assuming.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They're sealed as far as I know, but because it's hydraulic it automatically adjusts for pad wear.

Well they still need bleeding maybe less often than normal hydraulics, but in addition they need cables. To me I don't see advantages over full hydraulics.

Top Bottom