I don't know if I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I looked for that. Did you mean this?

Who wants to optimise their brakes for riding laden touring bikes faster down long steep mountain passes? Is that a big part of anyone's cycling? And if I'm touring, I'd like to enjoy the ride more than seeing how fast I can downhill. As long as the brakes can stop me, I'll probably pick the ones that are easier to maintain and don't whine in the wet.
It is for me, it’s not wanting to ride faster down 25% hills with hairpin bends at the end, is why I prefer disc brakes,

In the wet, loaded with touring gear, going down a mountain pass is an especially bum clenching period of any touring that I do, that’s why I want brakes that work instantly, work well, and continue to work all the way down, when doing that, the last thing I care about is noise, or if cantilever brakes would be up to it, of course if I only ever cycled the fens or somewhere flat, then it would be different.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ehhh? Indeed, but it is about giving objective advice. Simply shouting louder that the Earth is still flat in defiance of scientific knowledge, logic and reason and believers of such are heretics is well what the Catholic church used to do to protect it's orthodoxy. Luckily most have now seen the light to realise this is not the case.
My comment applies to everyone. I wasn't singling anyone out.

Objective advice is great and we want lots of it on the site.:okay: Belittling or sarcastic comments towards those who have a different point of view isn't what we want though and we were headed in that direction hence the note.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To turn this on it's head, it's more about optimising the brakes to go slower. I'm thinking about long twisty decents where you're constantly having to grab a fistful of lever just to keep down to a safe speed. At least with discs you don't have to worry about blowout due to rim overheating. It's never happened to me, but I don't even want it on the table - it does not aid enjoyment !
It never happened and probably never will, so why swap it for the more likely problems of warped/bent discs or accidental burns when parking the bike?

As for grabbing fistfuls, that's mainly a road bike thing IME so is it just that discs bring road bike braking up to what other bikes have had with Vs and hubs?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for posting a pic of your bike, but sorry it is not really my cup of tea really old bikes, but it looks in nice condition though.

I prefer more modern ones. As @Brandane I have a Honda VFR which of course has disc brakes and would love either a KTM 1290 Superduke R or a
BMW S1000R or maybe a new Triumph Speed Triple RS. All have Brembo disc brakes as far as I know.
It's not my bike, I lack the £20,000 or so to afford one like that. :cry:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've had cantilever brakes on my road bikes, V brakes on my commuter hybrids and now disc brakes on my Troll and MTB. Disc brakes are by far the best brakes I have used on any bicycle. As I say V brakes are ok but disc brakes are just much better. Period.
Which is fine. I could have mentioned that the best brakes I've had were the hydraulic discs on the rickshaw. A third of a tonne of vehicle and passengers down a steep hill - no problem.

mjr

of course if I only ever cycled the fens or somewhere flat, then it would be different.
Yeah I may live on the edge of the fens now but I've ridden enough countries I've lost count, on two continents. Not yet with discs except as short test rides because I've not seen enough benefit to add a fifth brake type to the shed.

Yeah I may live on the edge of the fens now but I've ridden enough countries I've lost count, on two continents. Not yet with discs except as short test rides because I've not seen enough benefit to add a fifth brake type to the shed.

Whereas I ride in an area which has many 25% hills and hairpin bends, but what do I know.

mjr

Whereas I ride in an area which has many 25% hills and hairpin bends, but what do I know.
I lived on the outside of a hairpin on a 25% hill (Monk's Hill in Somerset) 2006-2012, so most rides ended with braking and turning right down that, but what do I know.

Good question. I idly wonder this sometimes when looking at a fairly sporty bit of steel I fitted Vs to.

I'd guess that it maybe has something to do with supposed aesthetics, "the rules" or some such tosh.

Normal Vs I gather don't work with drop bar controls but I gather that "mini Vs" do.

V brakes give you more tyre clearance. Why do road racers need this?

Crankarm

Guru
It is for me, it’s not wanting to ride faster down 25% hills with hairpin bends at the end, is why I prefer disc brakes,

In the wet, loaded with touring gear, going down a mountain pass is an especially bum clenching period of any touring that I do, that’s why I want brakes that work instantly, work well, and continue to work all the way down, when doing that, the last thing I care about is noise, or if cantilever brakes would be up to it, of course if I only ever cycled the fens or somewhere flat, then it would be different.

And believe me you need disc brakes in the highlands of the Fens just to stop the wind pushing you back from where you came ;@)

Top Bottom