I don't know if I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not done any servicing on my disc brakes, am I missing something. The cable rim brakes do take the odd fettle from time to time.

Crankarm

Guru
I did, boy can you remember them with drum brakes, horrible.

Awful, awful sensation with drum brakes. You'd grab a handle of brake lever and stamp on the foot brake and wonder whether the brakes would actually stop you before the end of the week as you headed for a wall or truck and your life flashed before you. Disc brakes on motorbikes are now taken for granted, unless you still ride a crappy C90 or 100cc bike some where in Asia, but then you wouldn't know any better.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
I looked for that. Did you mean this?

Who wants to optimise their brakes for riding laden touring bikes faster down long steep mountain passes? Is that a big part of anyone's cycling? And if I'm touring, I'd like to enjoy the ride more than seeing how fast I can downhill. As long as the brakes can stop me, I'll probably pick the ones that are easier to maintain and don't whine in the wet.

As opposed to whining on cycling forums. LoL. My bike's disc brakes don't whine indeed they don't make any noise. If they do they are not set up properly or perhaps a very cheap make of disc brake, pad or rotor.

Crankarm

Guru
I looked for that. Did you mean this?

Who wants to optimise their brakes for riding laden touring bikes faster down long steep mountain passes? Is that a big part of anyone's cycling? And if I'm touring, I'd like to enjoy the ride more than seeing how fast I can downhill. As long as the brakes can stop me, I'll probably pick the ones that are easier to maintain and don't whine in the wet.

Errr ...... clearly not the OP? Quote title : No way I am going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Awful, awful sensation with drum brakes. You'd grab a handle of brake lever and stamp on the foot brake and wonder whether the brakes would actually stop you before the end of the week as you headed for a wall or truck and your life flashed before you. Disc brakes on motorbikes are now taken for granted, unless you still ride a crappy C90 or 100cc bike some where in Asia, but then you wouldn't know any better.
I quite like Motorbikes with drum front brakes,

11686.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Putting my mod hat on for a moment; there are some polarised opinions on this subject. Please calm it down a bit - this isn't about trying to prove that yours is the one true braking system.

I had the Tektro Oryx Front/Rear Cantilever Brake on my Surly LHT 26in Touring Bicycle from 11-2008 to 8-2012 and I had a hard time stopping going down a hill with Tektro Oryx Front/Rear Cantilever Brake then I put on my Avid Single digit 7 V-Brakes and I think that my Avid Single digit 7 V-Brakes are easy to work on. and I did upgrade my Hubs to Shimano XT M756 6-bolt Hubs in 2013. and I will know more about going to Disc Brakes for Bicycle Touring. and I am looking at Soma Sage Disc 26in 52cm 2018 Frameset? or Surly Disc Trucker 26in 52 2018.
I think experience with cantilevers can be a bit hit and miss. My two best bikes are on cantilever brakes and give different experiences.

The Dawes has Shimano cantis which I've found quite tricky to set up and finally managed to get the braking adequate. I'm considering trying some mini-V's to see how they perform.
The Raleigh has unbranded brakes which have been a fairly easy set up and give a great feel and a bite that I prefer to the V-brakes on my knockabout bike.

Crankarm

Guru
I quite like Motorbikes with drum front brakes,

View attachment 406984

Thanks for posting a pic of your bike, but sorry it is not really my cup of tea really old bikes, but it looks in nice condition though.

I prefer more modern ones. As @Brandane I have a Honda VFR which of course has disc brakes and would love either a KTM 1290 Superduke R or a
BMW S1000R or maybe a new Triumph Speed Triple RS. All have Brembo disc brakes as far as I know.

You win the Luddite Gold medal for today.

Lay off it please. You exaggerate I feel.

May come as news to you that I was actually pleased to find my Ridgeback 2016 model (V brakes) before it was changed to discs in the following year. Discs have their plus points but I prefer Vs for all sorts of reasons stated by others upthread.

I keep my rims clean and regularly check the pads for debris. Not gone on a major expedition yet but like the idea that I can pick up the pads pretty much anywhere. Brake unit or lever failure extremely unlikely but if that ever happened I would have little problem getting (and fitting) new ones.

If setting off on a major major trip, no great problem to fit new Sputnik rimmed wheels. I reckon they would outlast most trips.

My 2016 model still has its original wheels as supplied and still running fine - I plan to get some Sputniks to fit when heading off somewhere serious. My general purpose bike has Sputnik wheels built by Spa and they are still going strong after several years. I fitted Vs to that bike (a 90s steel Ridgeback - how quaint/luddite) to replace the original cantis. I also in a modernising fit moved it from 7 speed to 8 speed for the simple reason that it works.

Not had any real problem stopping at all and you would not believe the amount of stuff I carry.

As for stopping in the wet, don't see that as a mega mega problem. And of course on tour, rather than racing to work, you don't necessarily have to ride ride on through a deluge. I might take it easy and spend more time in the tent with a good book. Or if in the UK retire to a spoons to catch up on internet and recharging.

I'd wager that your bike/s contain a fair few bits that are just so last century. But work.

Bodhbh

Guru
Who wants to optimise their brakes for riding laden touring bikes faster down long steep mountain passes? Is that a big part of anyone's cycling? And if I'm touring, I'd like to enjoy the ride more than seeing how fast I can downhill.

To turn this on it's head, it's more about optimising the brakes to go slower. I'm thinking about long twisty decents where you're constantly having to grab a fistful of lever just to keep down to a safe speed. At least with discs you don't have to worry about blowout due to rim overheating. It's never happened to me, but I don't even want it on the table - it does not aid enjoyment !

Out of intertest without wanting to derail the thread how come road bikes didn't move to V brakes?
Good question. I idly wonder this sometimes when looking at a fairly sporty bit of steel I fitted Vs to.

I'd guess that it maybe has something to do with supposed aesthetics, "the rules" or some such tosh.

Normal Vs I gather don't work with drop bar controls but I gather that "mini Vs" do.

Crankarm

Guru
Putting my mod hat on for a moment; there are some polarised opinions on this subject. Please calm it down a bit - this isn't about trying to prove that yours is the one true braking system.

I think experience with cantilevers can be a bit hit and miss. My two best bikes are on cantilever brakes and give different experiences.

The Dawes has Shimano cantis which I've found quite tricky to set up and finally managed to get the braking adequate. I'm considering trying some mini-V's to see how they perform.
The Raleigh has unbranded brakes which have been a fairly easy set up and give a great feel and a bite that I prefer to the V-brakes on my knockabout bike.

Ehhh? Indeed, but it is about giving objective advice. Simply shouting louder that the Earth is still flat in defiance of scientific knowledge, logic and reason and believers of such are heretics is well what the Catholic church used to do to protect it's orthodoxy. Luckily most have now seen the light to realise this is not the case.

Crankarm

Guru
To turn this on it's head, it's more about optimising the brakes to go slower. I'm thinking about long twisty decents where you're constantly having to grab a fistful of lever just to keep down to a safe speed. At least with discs you don't have to worry about blowout due to rim overheating. It's never happened to me, but I don't even want it on the table - it does not aid enjoyment !

Good point.

screenman

Legendary Member
There is no way I am going to use any of this newfangled stuff, what is up witha penny black, did the job then and it should now.^_^

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE="Rickshaw Phil, post: 5231486, member: 20178"]Putting my mod hat on for a moment; there are some polarised opinions on this subject. Please calm it down a bit - this isn't about trying to prove that yours is the one true braking system.

The Raleigh has unbranded brakes which have been a fairly easy set up and give a great feel and a bite that I prefer to the V-brakes on my knockabout bike.[/QUOTE]

I've had cantilever brakes on my road bikes, V brakes on my commuter hybrids and now disc brakes on my Troll and MTB. Disc brakes are by far the best brakes I have used on any bicycle. As I say V brakes are ok but disc brakes are just much better. Period.

Top Bottom