I don't like the new forum layout.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
I've now switched to CCLite. Thanks Shaun for the max width feature.

Strikes me that Lite could, when you have time, evolve into CCClassic. What would be really nice is if the software could detect the style being used and attach a suitable epithet to the posters profile "old duffer", "chav's delight'"....
wink.gif

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
One slight issue with CC-lite is it's difficult to see some of the text boxes - I'm sure there's an 'outline box' option somewhere but being a bloke I'm unable to read any instructions.

I am afraid I must be not very demanding - it works - looks OK - does pretty much what it did before - maybe 2-3% more effort to work it but I am sure that will improve - content has not changed - Admin is there some way you could incorporate a drivel filter?

Shaun

Founder
Modifying the layout is much more complicated in this new software, and I'm still very much at the learning stage, but give me time and I will work it out.

I expect to end up with 2 CC skins (original - this one) and a more subtle version (in a similar vein to the old one) which should give most people the choice they want.

I'll also likely leave a couple of other skins in place, albeit with very subtle CC branding, for those who don't wish to use the default ones.

It's going to take a while before I can start getting into the skin changes, but it is on the cards and will be done.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

rh100

To the left of my name, is the little person icon lit up?

I think it only lights up if you've had your ready brek
wink.gif

Modifying the layout is much more complicated in this new software, and I'm still very much at the learning stage, but give me time and I will work it out.

I expect to end up with 2 CC skins (original - this one) and a more subtle version (in a similar vein to the old one) which should give most people the choice they want.

I'll also likely leave a couple of other skins in place, albeit with very subtle CC branding, for those who don't wish to use the default ones.

It's going to take a while before I can start getting into the skin changes, but it is on the cards and will be done.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

I have no problems with the new scheme when at home - looks fine on my laptop. At work I use the cleancut one (please don't get rid of this one), as it's less eye catching :smile:

Things change, and some people don't like it unfortunately, but without change of some kind we'd all be trying to do this on a Spectrum :smile: I'm looking forward to the blogs developing, could be a bit like CGOAB maybe, or even blogs of peoples bike restores, whatever your interest. But as already said, the essence of CC is surely the content, not just the functionality or ease of use.

Considering how huge a task it must have been to transfer the entire archive of over a million posts to the new software, I think it went remarkably well,
bravo.gif

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Whenever you want 'normal' people to start a learning curve and begin to navigate a new version of a site they have become familiar with its a pain in the arse as 'normal' people become moaning old gits.... When you already have a user base full of moany old gits you have an uphill battle...

By the end of July I bet most won't even remember what the old CC looked like. Be positive folks. :rolleyes:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I think the new forms are technically much improved, save for the odd "buggette". It'll take time to get used to, but so does everything new!

The "buggettes" that I've noticed are:

1) It is not possible to escape single quotes within single-quoted string literals. E.g. my signature - I've had to use a backtick in swee'peas' name, rather than a single quote because the name is itself encapsulated in single quotes and it is not possible to escape the literal quote with a backslash character, as is the norm in PHP programming.

2) It would be nice to see all the emoticons in a grid rather than a column.

Other than that, happy days!

EDIT: I eat my sunday hat wrt point 1 - you can use single and double quoted string literals interchangably, as is also the norm in PHP programming! Hence no need for character escaping.

I'm sure I will get used to the layout but I can't identify a single area where the new forum is an improvement on the old, and in many cases it is worse eg navigating within the forum.

Top Bottom