I don't like the new forum layout.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to say, I make few functional demands on CC, and in terms of doing what I like to do...wander around sowing a little inanity here & there...I can see very little difference between the new CC and t'old. On balance, I like the new look - since discovering the 'lite' version (found the original a bit indigestible, TBH). One slight quibble - the old logo/masthead really doesn't seem to me to work visually in the new layout. It doesn't feel 'integrated' at all; it looks like what it is - a bit of the old, rather crudely pasted in on top of the new. But apart from that, no - seems fine to me. 

StuartG

slower but further
I'm sure I will get used to the layout but I can't identify a single area where the new forum is an improvement on the old, and in many cases it is worse eg navigating within the forum.
Is it reasonable to expect anything else? A change in software always creates an immediate reaction because much loved actions are different, unoptimised or even sometimes absent. Whereas the extra facilities/ more logical paths take time to discover as we have been doing.

And Shaun did make the telling point that the main reason for the move was the ability to integrate the membership (login/logout) feature to cover much more than a simple forum. Given the enormous amount of work to be done optimising the forum and to responding to 'helpful' suggestions and the need for sleep and personal time - that will take a while.

Shaun

Founder
Hopefully - fingers crossed - we should have the topic preview back in a week or so.

I've spoken to the developer of the plugin and he's told me he is hoping to get it finished this week.

Phew ...

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

rh100

I've just noticed on the current one, it will show the last post also.
cool.gif

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I like the strong colours and bold design much more than the old one. Can't see myself using any of the new special features but overall, it's an improvement.

I started a self help guide here which has got all the basic navigation stuff in ( I think).

My main grumble is that if I want to get to say Beginners I have to go to Forums and click - instead of being able to go directly via a facility on the current page.

Am I missing something?

redjedi

Über Member
Yes

Just under the last post on this page, on the right hand side, there is a drop down menu so you can jump anywhere on the forum.

Norm

the new posts button is called the view new content button

That appears to only show the posts since the last visit.

As I can only check in briefly during the day, I skim the topics but don't read everything, going through everything in a bit more detail when I log in at home. The previous software showed all unread posts, the "new content" button doesn't show threads which I hadn't read.

is there an option to view unread threads?

Top Bottom