I don't like the new forum layout.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
There are proposed changes for View New Content in future upgrades, but for now I wonder if Today's active content might give a better selection?

You can find Today's active content at the bottom right of the homepage, just above the board statistics.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
That appears to only show the posts since the last visit.

As I can only check in briefly during the day, I skim the topics but don't read everything, going through everything in a bit more detail when I log in at home. The previous software showed all unread posts, the "new content" button doesn't show threads which I hadn't read.

is there an option to view unread threads?

In your profile you can change how you view new content to 'show all content that I have not read', I think this might do what you want.

DavieB

MIA
This forum is a lot more like the other forums I use and therefore I like it more than the old forum (which was a little antiquated) The only thing this is missing is the hover post preview(I know it has the click to view thing) apart from this the new forum is great. People will get used to the changes.
biggrin.gif
In the mean time deal with it!
boxing.gif
boxing.gif

Attachments

• boxing.gif
    boxing.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 34

Shaun

Founder
I've modified the layout a little more and removed the blue blocks around the page numbers. This has lightened the topics list and put the focus back on the topic links.

Cheers,

mangaman

I've modified the layout a little more and removed the blue blocks around the page numbers. This has lightened the topics list and put the focus back on the topic links.

Cheers,

Shaun - I don't want to be appear totally obsequious, and I was one of the Beta testers - although I didn't have as much playtime as I'd hoped - but I think you're doing a grand job.

I've been a member of (I think) 2 versions of cycling+/ACF/YACF/Cyclechat.

Whenever any of the others fora changed an iota, there was a load of whinging people shifting fora etc.

I would like to commend you on the way this has been done. All the complaints I''ve seen so far have been people not realising pre-existing functions still exist, but have moved to a different part of the screen.

I've not seen an "I'm leaving because of the changes" thread - which happened with all the other fora changes.

So well done.. Don't let the hassle drag you down!

Shaun

Founder
Thanks for the compliment; I've put a lot of work and thought into the move, tested it beforehand, checked with people, got feedback and changed things based on the feedback, and continue to do so because it is the people that make CC what it is. I just tend the boiler and keep it running.

Once I get all the bits and bobs up and running it should make it much more of a community site - albeit centralised around the forums - with more on offer than just chat.

There is still a hell of a lot of work to do, but we'll get there ... slowly and surely.

In the meantime, enjoy the new gallery section and if you have a few minutes, why not start your very own CC blog ... :biggrin:

Cheers,

Danny

Legendary Member
Overall I think it is a big improvement. I'm sure when Admin does his next big upgrade in a few years time there will be a whole load of complaints about changing from this version of CC.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Is it still possible to hover over a title name and preview the OP's comment without going into the thread?
Tell me it is!

Shaun

Founder
Is it still possible to hover over a title name and preview the OP's comment without going into the thread?
Tell me it is!

Not at the moment, but I'm hoping by next week we'll have this functionality back (lots and lots of us miss it, me included).

In the meantime, it is still possible to review topic - hover over the title, move your mouse to the right and click the litlte icon that appears, then the preview info will load.

Clunky, I know, but it's there if you feel inclined to use it.

Cheers,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I miss that one and look forward to having it back. It's amazing how many sites don't have it - BikeRadar for one; the BBC for another. They don't even have an edit facility. In fact the BBC's software is positively neanderthal compared to CC - it's like they got it free in a box of cornflakes back in 2003 and haven't revised anything since.

[quote name='swee'pea99' date='15 July 2010 - 13:38:20' timestamp='1279197500' post='1329059']
I miss that one and look forward to having it back. It's amazing how many sites don't have it - BikeRadar for one; the BBC for another. They don't even have an edit facility. In fact the BBC's software is positively neanderthal compared to CC - it's like they got it free in a box of cornflakes back in 2003 and haven't revised anything since.
[/quote]

Blue Peter made it with sticky backed plastic.

I like the click on topic function - easy to screen out what I do not want to read and an improvement on before as I can look at the last post

Top Bottom