I dont think I'll win anyone over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hmm.. I've been trying to pitch in on the thread over on the RAC forums over helmetcams:

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12342

Some are quite level headed in some ways, but then one or two just seem to have this negative attitude towards us. I had hoped to convey why cyclists felt the need to use cameras, and how this all really shouldnt be happening, but just as with youtube theres always some wiseguy who picks the cyclists behaviour to peices rather than talking about the driving.

Frankly I'm left with the feeling that they're not concerned with any of the safety issues. Somehow the cyclist put themselves that position and therefore it is down to the cyclist to correct the problem :wacko:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
there are good and bad in both camps

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
DF - it's a self-selecting sample of nitwits. Lobotomies come free with RAC membership. And nothing, but nothing is going to stop cyclists carrying cameras if they feel the need

jonesy

Guru
I'm surprised cameras haven't yet taken off for use in cars. Fitting would be easier, you could have easily have a constantly recorded 20 minute loop of the front and rear views, alongside data from the vehicle management system, which would be very helpful in the event of an accident. If you aren't at fault...

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
there are good and bad in both camps

Exactly!

DF - it's a self-selecting sample of nitwits. Lobotomies come free with RAC membership. And nothing, but nothing is going to stop cyclists carrying cameras if they feel the need

Thats the worrying thing, a fair few of them are actually pretty knowledgable. They could, and possibly have, said the same about cycle forums.

I'm surprised cameras haven't yet taken off for use in cars. Fitting would be easier, you could have easily have a constantly recorded 20 minute loop of the front and rear views, alongside data from the vehicle management system, which would be very helpful in the event of an accident. If you aren't at fault...

Exactly. And the systems are more intricate - GPS mapping and speed recording, video, audio that works. No need to worry about the camera getting wet as theres always the wipers... It must be a massive help for the insurers.

EDIT: and apparantly I pick and choose what sections of the highway code I listen to. :rolleyes: I think its time to unsubscribe from the forum notifications

This is another reason why the use of cameras are unpopular with drivers, as they stop bad driving. Fleet users are starting to realise this and utilise the facility to review driver speeds, activities and standards.

To quote one firm:

These fleet management techniques can now be integrated into one total fleet management system. These fleet management systems also incorporate the use of vehicle cameras, which provide essential and instant feedback to fleet managers, the likes of which have never been available before. Vehicle cameras in this instance provide live video transmission, which can be sent back to a base station in the event of an emergency ensuring that any incidents can be resolved in a time effective manner and with the use of accurate information. These total fleet management solutions with the use of live vehicle tracking and vehicle cameras provide real and effective fleet management solutions and can be used for taxi fleets, haulage fleets, delivery fleets, and plant machinery or in any situation where fleet vehicles are in constant use.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This is another reason why the use of cameras are unpopular with drivers, as they stop bad driving. Fleet users are starting to realise this and utilise the facility to review driver speeds, activities and standards.

To quote one firm:

I know of one local bus firm and two local hauliers who have cams as it has helped with bogus insurance claims. Another great reason to use them imo.

domd1979

Veteran
Most of big companies have both internal and external cameras as standard on new buses to protect them from duff insurance claims. Also know of another firm that uses a monitoring system on it's bus fleet that shows driver green/amber/red light according to their standard of driving - and data sent back for the gaffer to login and have a look at. Well driven should be in the green all the while, and drivers get bonus for 100% green. Accidents have dropped.

DTD

Veteran
I know of one local bus firm and two local hauliers who have cams as it has helped with bogus insurance claims. Another great reason to use them imo.

Most new buses are being fitted with cctv cameras (some of which record what the driver sees) – and I've been told that insurance claims and passengers claiming the bus didn't stop etc. are two of the most useful (for the bus companies) reasons why.

Bman

Guru

..and thats the problem.

Dan B

Disengaged member
They should be compulsory. Not only would it make the average driver concentrate more, it would also stop the Clarkson type lunatic from treating the road as a race track. Would the idiot in the Range Rover who was overtaking everyone on the wrong side of the double white while crossing Soutra on Saturday night be doing so if she/he had a fixed camera recording their journey?

Once they come down in price a bit and become generally more "fit and forget", I would hope that insurance companies will start pricing "do you have cameras" into their premiums the same way as they do for an immobiliser or an advanced driving course. Most people are quite happy to complain about "privacy" and "civil liberties" when there's basically no benefit to them of fitting the device, but offer them an incentive (see e.g. supermarket loyalty cards) and suddenly they forget they used to have principles about the point.

We used to have a "you have no rights as you don't pay road tax" idiot at work, who had the same attitudes about cyclists getting out of the way as they had no "rights", and would come off worse.

One lunchtime I simply queried this with a theory...

I drive a large 4X4 which is in band H - Does that mean that I have more "right" to the road than his small band B car, especially given that he would come off worst in an accident. Should he be getting out of my way when I drive?

Apparently not!

Top Bottom