I dreamed a dream ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
... of a Dutch style ladies bike with dinamo lights and a wicker basket, with pretty curved handlebars, a frame pump, a chain guard just like this.
I dreamed a dream of riding to town on it, wearing a long skirt, flowing silk scarf, pretty shoes, handbag in the basket.
Test drove one today: ancient, all original circa 1829, saw it in my lbs, went :wub:
Go for a ride, the man said, gonna put a pretty bell on it, special price just because it's you ;)

It was the worst 5 mile ride of my life :cry:
Oh my bum, that big bouncy saddle! The maddening squeak! Those narrow handlebars, the small grips, the cranks too near the frame, the pedals must have been for a size 3 shoe, if you don't look down you can't find them. Such an uncomfortable riding position :thumbsdown:
How's a girl meant to give it all up a hill if the bike won't play??
It felt like trying to run in high heels.

Bah, better off spending the money on some new (gardening) tools :girl:

Brandane

Legendary Member
So ........... Did you buy it then?? :laugh:

Sorry to hear that your dream bike didn't quite live up to expectations. I once had a similar situation with a woman who I thought was going to be wonderful. She wasn't.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Sorry to hear that your dream bike didn't quite live up to expectations. I once had a similar situation with a woman who I thought was going to be wonderful. She wasn't.
Sorry to read that. Get a cat. You know where you stand with cats. Your motorbike will suffice if you don't fancy a cat. :biggrin:

Sandra6

Veteran
L al a la Fingers in ears. I'm not listening.
I dream a dream of a similar romantic style of cycling, I will not be dissuaded from my dream by the reality of a heavy old wreck (the bike - not me!!!) struggling up a hill.
I get all misty eyed looking at electra cruisers and the guys at work start talking all sensible.
What do they mean it's all very well on a californian beach front but totally different on a cumbrian hill?! Pah!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry to read that. Get a cat. You know where you stand with cats. Your motorbike will suffice if you don't fancy a cat. :biggrin:

A CAT? :ohmy: :ohmy:. Perhaps a dog, if I didn't have to spend so much time away from the house.
I am always a little suspicious of single blokes who have a cat....... :whistle:

Sorry to go off topic, but this pretty much sums up the difference:

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CATS AND DOGS
cats_dogs.jpg

THE DOG'S DIARY:

7 am- Oh boy! A walk! My favourite!
8 am- Oh boy! Dog food! My favourite!
9 am- Oh boy! The kids! My favourite!
Noon- Oh boy! The yard! My favourite!
2 pm- Oh boy! A car ride! My favourite!
3 pm- Oh boy! The kids! My favourite!
4 pm- Oh boy! Playing ball! My favourite!
6 pm- Oh boy! Welcome home Mum! My favourite!
7 pm- Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favourite!
8 pm- Oh boy! Dog food! My favourite!
9 pm- Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favourite!
11 pm- Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favourite!

THE CAT'S DIARY:

Day 183 of my captivity...
My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.
Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favourite chair - must try this on their bed. Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little kitty cat I was. This is not working according to plan.
There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.
I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit.
The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.
But I can wait. It's only a matter of time..............
paw_print.jpg

Crankarm

Guru

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sorry to go off topic, but this pretty much sums up the difference:

The real difference is that whereas dogs have masters, cats have staff.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Years ago we went on holiday to a hotel in Emilia Romagna that catered especially for cyclists and triathletes, offering excellent food and faclities. (I hasten to add that I am no stranger to a bag of chips and cannot in any way be considered sporty. My choice was based on location, cost, and good food.)

Anyway, their offer of access to a free bike persuaded me to leave mine behind this time and use the one included in the price of the holiday. It meant I only had to take all my cycling kit, saving a bit of money on baggage.

The first morning we decided to get out exploring and the receptionist took us to our bikes; yep, they were a couple of step-through framed, fat-tyred, dynamo-eqipped sit up & beg bikes with baskets on the front.

We had brilliant time cruising along the coast from one seaside bagno to another, fuelled by white wine and nibbles.

GC

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Ach, don't know if I will ever live my dream, boys and gals!
It's not a tragedy, haven't achieved a size zero long legged platinum blonde look either :whistle:
If I get the chance I will try a ride on one of the modern bikes you suggested, have the feeling thought that the riding style is just not comfy for me.
Not giving up yet :biggrin:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I think it is a lovely dream ...

Let me know if it ever becomes reality.:laugh:
You will be the first to know, Summerdays.
Need to rethink the bit about the flowing silk scarf ... who was the glam lady that strangled herself with one while riding a motorbike? :scratch:

Top Bottom