I got interviewed for the radio yesterday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yesterday I went to Munich on a shopping trip and got stopped by a radio reporter who was finding out about attitudes to Christmas. I said how I really hated it and that it was even worse in the UK where the American import version of Christmas dominates everything. She was really grateful to find somebody who didn't start gushing about how wonderful it was. Maybe the "bah humbug!" school of thought is on the way up.:sad:

Not 'inSig nificant then! Hope you were wearing your CC jersey for radio Andy!:sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done on radio stardom. At this rate, you'll be catching up with me, Bollo, Hilldoger and Magnatom...

Does the American import version of Christmas dominate over here in the UK though? I mean, ok, we eat mostly turkey, but what else? Christmas trees are a German thing... I suppose there's the 'Santa dresses in red' thing, but that's worldwide now.

Do the Americans have The Queen's Speech and a Dr Who special? (ooh, I'm soooo excited about that. If anyone can take over from DT, in my mind, it's David Morrisey.)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This reminds me of something I found a while back

Christmas Day itself was a public holiday, with shops, offices and other places of work all closed, and people went to church to attend special services; over the following eleven days there were further special church services, with shops and businesses open only intermittently or for shorter hours than normal. The celebration of all Twelve Days of Christmas contained other familiar elements, though the degree to which individuals and families participated probably varied, depending upon whether they were living in London, a large provincial town or deep in the countryside, upon whether they were rich or poor and thus upon how much time and money they could afford to expend on celebrations. Churches, public buildings and private houses were often decorated with holly and ivy, rosemary and bays. People visited family, friends and colleagues, eating and drinking and exchanging presents, and the more affluent distributed ‘boxes’ containing money to servants, tradesmen and the poor. Special food and drink was available and was consumed in larger quantities than normal, including turkey and beef, mince pies, plum porridge and specially-brewed Christmas ale; taverns and taphouses did a roaring trade. Occasionally there were fireworks (though then as now they were more associated with the celebration of the failure of the Gunpowder Treason plot on 5 November), and there was also the concept of a ‘Father Christmas’, more as a figure that oversaw the community celebrations than as someone who gave presents to children. More generally, it was a period of leisure, of eating and drinking to excess, of dancing and singing, gambling, gaming and stage plays (though modern-style pantomimes did not emerge until the eighteenth century), of drunkenness and sexual immorality, a period when normal rules and self-control did not apply, a period of deliberate inversion and ‘misrule’.

Care to guess which century that's talking about? Bah humbug has always existed (in actual fact the rest of that page I've quoted from details the killjoys).

Sorry I don't think Christmas is overly "Americanised". The only people I have ever heard express that view were some Christians bemoaning the decline of national holidays which were (all) going downhill. It's nothing new, it's existed for centuries :sad:.

The USA will not have a Queen's speech as John Barrowman is not available. I think Andy is alluding to the fake bonhomie 'everything is ok because it's Christmas' type of thing. We have all seen that in the filums Arch :biggrin:
As for the Turdis and its occupants - let's get going and export the whole history of this rubbish to the States!:sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aperitif said:
The USA will not have a Queen's speech as John Barrowman is not available.

:biggrin:

I think Andy is alluding to the fake bonhomie 'everything is ok because it's Christmas' type of thing. We have all seen that in the filums Arch :smile:

I don't think that's new though. Look at It's a Wonderful World and all that. And I don't think it's American. Isn't it the sort of thing Scrooge was railing against? Anyway, the average Christmas episode of Eastenders barely qualifies as that...:sad:

[/quote]
As for the Turdis and its occupants - let's get going and export the whole history of this rubbish to the States!:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

How very dare you!

Marinyork, from the clues in the text, I'd say late 17th-early 18th C?

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Yes, very good Arch! It is primarily talking about the 17th century from a page about the abolition of christmas http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs4.htm. Just strikes me how not that different things are today really and how the same sort of complaints are heard hundreds of years later :sad:.

True!

I guessed using the archeaological methods of terminus post and ante quem. It had to be after Guy Fawkes, but before the 18th C, as it said pantomines weren't introduced until then...

And of course, I imagine most of that behaviour could equally well be applied to pre Christian mid-winter festivals. When all's said and done, it's a way of cheering yourself up when the weather is crap (and while you still have decent stocks of food left from the summer).

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
DONG

"Hier ist das erste Deutche fernsehen mit das Tagesschau.

Weinachten ist scheisse, so sagen die Englander:biggrin:. "

Andy in Sig said:
Yesterday I went to Munich on a shopping trip and got stopped by a radio reporter who was finding out about attitudes to Christmas. I said how I really hated it and that it was even worse in the UK where the American import version of Christmas dominates everything. She was really grateful to find somebody who didn't start gushing about how wonderful it was. Maybe the "bah humbug!" school of thought is on the way up.:sad:

Have you ever spent Xmas in America? I have. It's the dullest, most miserable Xmas I have ever had. It's a one day holiday which pales into insignificance next to Thanksgiving. It has no bearing on a UK Christmas.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
What really gets me is the non stop playing of W*nking In A Winter Wonderland in supermarkets and DIY stores, the relentless psychopropaganda in all the media and the fact that the whole thing seems to begin in October. Plus the (modern?) traditional British christmas dinner is shite. (If it wasn't we'd have it more often.)

OTH to sit down with friends to a good meal with loads of good wine on the shortest day of the year would be great fun. And we probably did do that until the bloody Christians hijacked our festivals!!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
BigonaBianchi said:
DONG

"Hier ist das erste Deutche fernsehen mit das Tagesschau.

Weinachten ist scheisse, so sagen die Englander:biggrin:. "

I wish!

Incidentally I got the sound thing sorted out by buying a Bluesbreaker II pedal made by Marshall. Now the sound is somewhere between Clapton and Gallagher: I've just got to spend the next 20 years getting the right notes in the right order.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
What really gets me is the non stop playing of W*nking In A Winter Wonderland in supermarkets and DIY stores, the relentless psychopropaganda in all the media and the fact that the whole thing seems to begin in October. Plus the (modern?) traditional British christmas dinner is shite. (If it wasn't we'd have it more often.)

OTH to sit down with friends to a good meal with loads of good wine on the shortest day of the year would be great fun. And we probably did do that until the bloody Christians hijacked our festivals!!

Well, maybe you need to find someone who can cook a better roast dinner? I love a full on roast bird (chicken probably nicer than turkey, TBH, and I've never had goose, so I don't know about that), potatoes, veg, sausages, stuffing, gravy and all. The reason I don't have it more often is nothing to do with it being shite and all to do with it being a)not really worth doing just for one person and b)quite labour intensive to get everything prepared, so best saved for a special occasion when there are lots of hands to help (and wash up).

I'm thinking back to last year, and as I recall, Christmas Day consisted of presents, a great feast of a meal, some wine (none of us are big drinkers, but we had all we wanted), and a really jolly time. Maybe you need to start spending Christmas with different people?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I like Christmas Day when all my family have a rare get togetherand I like the food and I like the booze.
I'm not keen on the early hype and over-spending but it seems less manic than it was a few years ago. I also like having a few days off with no pressure to do very much apart from the odd cycle, some self indulgence and a few good walks.

Top Bottom