I got spat at -- a first!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Terminator said:
I've usually had them try and run me off the road.

Which is precisely what the bloke was trying to do to JamesAC before he swore.

Be careful with the use of 'Back Off" in the heat of the moment the assumption from witnesses is that you said 'F**k Off', in Police self defense we are encouraged to use 'Get Back'.......

However the blind moron who drove at me this evening got a loud 'Idiot' in their earhole.

buddha

Veteran
One of the funniest moments I had on a bike.

A kid/chav spat at me on a shared cycle/footpath. Only he did it into a headwind with all his mates gathered round. An instant ripening of karma !

I almost peeed myself laughing at the result:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Swearing at them might be the excuse they need ,to take it to the next level.So its not a good idea,im afraid its a difficult spot to be in.Unless your really confident and handy,then swear away,facing up to them most of the time will make them back off,unless they are plural,then youl probably sh@t out,and get the good news:biggrin:

I've sworn at someone in the past, who then waited for me round a corner and flung the door open as I went past.

On two other occasions people have stopped up the road at the next set of traffic lights and obviously been waiting for me, so I've stopped at the kerb until they changed, not fancying getting in a brawl wearing cleats.

No, like Tynan, Terminator & Col, I don't recommned swearing at someone in a car and escalating things further.

Basically it's 'road rage' but from the cyclist back to the driver.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with the no swearing brigade, it's the right thing to do. There's no need to demean yourself as well. I just wish I was better at not swearing myself, every now and then my emotions get the better of me.

Cab

andy_wrx said:
I've sworn at someone in the past, who then waited for me round a corner and flung the door open as I went past.

I've had someone do precisely the same thing when I didn't swear at them. Damn near had me off the bike on that occasion.

The trouble here is that we're seeing examples of people who have had terrible, inexcusable road rage directed against them, and then we're saying its because they swore; I'll bet that if you'd even looked dirty (or in a way that could be considered dirty) at that guy he'd have done the same. Are we now going to start cutting ourselves up over looking at motorists to try to gauge what they're going to do? Are we going to refrain from making eye contact because that can be seen as aggressive? Shall we all ride in the gutter to avoid upsetting motorists?

There comes a point where it is quite clear that a motorist is a miserable, ignorant little $417 who is going to make trouble with someone on their journey. I'll bet that every one here who has been given grief after swearing or shouting at a motorist who has just done something dangeous has encountered just such a cretin.

On two other occasions people have stopped up the road at the next set of traffic lights and obviously been waiting for me, so I've stopped at the kerb until they changed, not fancying getting in a brawl wearing cleats.

No, like Tynan, Terminator & Col, I don't recommned swearing at someone in a car and escalating things further.

Basically it's 'road rage' but from the cyclist back to the driver.

In a scenario where someone is clearly challenging you, looking to instigate trouble, make as much noise as you can. Be heard, be seen, get witnesses, and don't throw the first punch. Make it impossinble for the other guy to get away with it, and he'll most likely back down. The trouble with the passive aggressive approach you reccomend is that while it CAN work, it can also lead to just the same grif but with less witnesses.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cab, a lot of what you say is right, but by swearing, you're a) not helping the situation and may make it worse and :biggrin: there's absolutely no advantage in it for you. All swearing does is demean you.

I'm quite for standing up for yourself though, I wouldn't be keeping quiet and would be quick to tell the other party that they made a mistake and are now on video camera. :biggrin:

Cab

BentMikey said:
Cab, a lot of what you say is right, but by swearing, you're a) not helping the situation and may make it worse and :biggrin: there's absolutely no advantage in it for you. All swearing does is demean you.

That really rather depends. If you're swearing because you're in a bad mood with the driver, then you're just not helping the situation. If you're swearing to add shock or weight to a more considered statement, then swearing can be a good way of reinforcing a point. If you're swearing loudly on a road with other motorists and pedestrians as part of a conscious attempt to draw attention to a situation, to get people to look your way as a form of defense against someone who has just (for example) threatened to drive his car over you, that might be just about the best tactic. I think that in the situation described by the original poster, drawing attention to what was happening might be an excellent move.

I'm quite for standing up for yourself though, I wouldn't be keeping quiet and would be quick to tell the other party that they made a mistake and are now on video camera. :biggrin:

Personally, I go for the 'just loud enough to be heard' approach if I'm talking to a motorist, so yes I'll yell above the sound of their engine to be heard. And I go for the 'just polite enough' approach. Rough transcript of what I said to a bus driver who honked me before passing too close (this is about as aggressive as I ever get to be honest, worse than normal for me): "What you just did there was dangerous, you passed too close and if you keep doing that then you will kill someone and you will go to jail? What? I was too far out from the kerb? Get a highway code, read it, do it now, park your bus and walk around until you've learned the rules. I see you on these routes every day, I'll be watching you like a hawk".

Cab

BentMikey said:
No, none of those examples show swearing doing any good at all.

You never swear while making an otherwise well reasoned, calm statement to reinforce a point? You've never had your attention drawn to a commotion on the street because you heard a few choice profanities (my favourite, incidentally, is c**********ks, really draws a crowd that one)?

Really, for 'ordinary' communications with motorists there should be no need to swear (as in the example I gave), but there are times when I think it is appropriate and useful.

Top Bottom