I got spat at -- a first!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The fact that I sometimes fail at not swearing doesn't change the fact that swearing is the wrong thing to do. As for attracting attention, you don't need to swear for that either.

Cab

BentMikey said:
The fact that I sometimes fail at not swearing doesn't change the fact that swearing is the wrong thing to do. As for attracting attention, you don't need to swear for that either.

I don't get why swearing is necessarily the wrong thing to do. Personally, I use swear words for specific desired effect, I usually swear in the middle of an otherwise pretty rational sounding statement to reinforce the emotion or meaning of what I'm saying, or I'll swear loudly in the road as a sort of 'look at this idiot' gesture to reduce the chance of being assaulted by getting witnesses. I definitely find that loud swear words (choice varieties of course) really do get more attention; I'll PM you a list of words that really seem to work if you like.

Nasty James. Yes swearing doesn't help, but it is no excuse for spitting!

I generally don't swear. In fact I try my best to remain calm and polite. I think I have improved since I've got the helmet camera.

While the incident is happening I think about the fact that I can place their face on the web and show them for the moron that they are. That gives me a sense of satisfaction that no swearing can provide :biggrin:

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

Thanks, folks, for your considered opinions.

I think I was wrong to have shouted swear words, but not wrong to have shouted. When I think I'm in danger, I'm going to say something about it.

As I gain more experience in cycle commuting, (about 5 years now) I do get more resigned to the dreadful driving I see. But, because I have more experience, I usually see it coming a mile off (ie there's a car within 100 yards of me!!) and I take avoiding action.
What I've noticed, too, is that if I cycle my regular route, at my regular time, motorists are (even if subconsciously) familiar with the idea that I'm there: I've sort of got them trained to be a bit more patient and courteous. Maybe my problem last week that I was an hour early .. on my way to the dentist!!:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I dunno about anyone else, but under stress swearing just comes naturally to some. Me included at some times. Mostly at the point of extreme danger I emit a sort of high pitched "Whoaaaaaaaaaaa!" which is partly aimed at the other person (or sometimes, the horse I'm on!) but partly just an instinctive yell. But I can quite imagine myself accidentally shouting F***! or something like that, if I happened to be very stressed or in a bad mood.

I suspect if I stood up to anyone and swore, they'd laugh at me. I like to think of myself as road warrior, but I imagine I actually come across rather like a bad tempered beanbag with fishwife ancestry.

Top Bottom