I had to say something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
A couple of weeks back I was out enjoying a bike ride of around 50 miles.About 30 miles in I came across this lovely pub that looked very inviting and with a steam traction engine parked up outside I decided to stop for a beer in the sun and watch the world go by.Whilst enjoying my pint I watched the owner of the traction engine return from his beer stop with his two kids and do what you do to bring the traction engine back to life before plodding off down the lane. I got talking to a retired couple sitting next to me who were on holiday in there motorhome,and where exploring the local area on there bicycles. The chap had a number plate attached to the cross bar. It was their because the bikes were obscuring the plate on the motorhome and he obviously couldn't be bothered to remove it , only to reattach it again later.
After a brief chat they said there goodbyes and went on there way.
A group of farmers saw them go past and I overheard one of them comment about the number plate. The conversation between them soon turned into a anti cyclist rant between them. It was on on the lines that all cyclists should have insurance ,pay road tax and have number plates fitted and that how self righteous cyclists are when riding in a group and holding other motorists up and not pulling over.I was sitting there earwigging and biting my lip until I could no longer do so. As I took my beer glass back to the bar I passed these guys outside and said my piece. I said how would you inforce number plates on bikes and as for road tax as you put it , this does not exist anymore. It's called VED.The upkeep of the roads are paid for by everyone who pays there taxes.
They all went quiet except for one, who then started having a dig about the groups of cyclists who block the roads stopping motorists from passing. I was on a bit of a roll by now feeling quite strongly about my views and quickly pointed out that just the other day I was stuck behind a large que of traffic for 16 miles because a selfish tractor driver refused to pull over into the lay bys dotted along the road.
I said there's good and bad between motorists, cyclists and tractor driver's so don't tar everybody with the same brush and quickly excited the pub 🤣🚲

AndyRM

XOXO
Good for you!

Jameshow

Veteran
A couple of weeks back I was out enjoying a bike ride of around 50 miles.About 30 miles in I came across this lovely pub that looked very inviting and with a steam traction engine parked up outside I decided to stop for a beer in the sun and watch the world go by.Whilst enjoying my pint I watched the owner of the traction engine return from his beer stop with his two kids and do what you do to bring the traction engine back to life before plodding off down the lane. I got talking to a retired couple sitting next to me who were on holiday in there motorhome,and where exploring the local area on there bicycles. The chap had a number plate attached to the cross bar. It was their because the bikes were obscuring the plate on the motorhome and he obviously couldn't be bothered to remove it , only to reattach it again later.
After a brief chat they said there goodbyes and went on there way.
A group of farmers saw them go past and I overheard one of them comment about the number plate. The conversation between them soon turned into a anti cyclist rant between them. It was on on the lines that all cyclists should have insurance ,pay road tax and have number plates fitted and that how self righteous cyclists are when riding in a group and holding other motorists up and not pulling over.I was sitting there earwigging and biting my lip until I could no longer do so. As I took my beer glass back to the bar I passed these guys outside and said my piece. I said how would you inforce number plates on bikes and as for road tax as you put it , this does not exist anymore. It's called VED.The upkeep of the roads are paid for by everyone who pays there taxes.
They all went quiet except for one, who then started having a dig about the groups of cyclists who block the roads stopping motorists from passing. I was on a bit of a roll by now feeling quite strongly about my views and quickly pointed out that just the other day I was stuck behind a large que of traffic for 16 miles because a selfish tractor driver refused to pull over into the lay bys dotted along the road.
I said there's good and bad between motorists, cyclists and tractor driver's so don't tar everybody with the same brush and quickly excited the pub 🤣🚲

What about the drunken tractor driver?!!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I want to know how he quickly excited the pub....or maybe I don't! :ohmy:

Best not to ask methinks :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But there are points I would have agreed with with the guy at the table. I also think all cyclist should have 3rd party insurance. I also think there are groups of cyclists who are complete twonkers. I find it useful to find some common ground in these discussions.

Well done for speaking up!
It's a pity you didn't stay around for a chat, though ^_^

It's very easy to slag off an "other" when there's none around or we're surrounded by people with the same ideas. We see it here all the time with motorists, types of motorists and even occasionally types of people on bikes^_^

But, I think, most people when faced with the "other" can actually listen, process and counter. That process helps us improve understanding which can't be a bad thing. The trick is to try to stay cool and not fight fire with fire.
After being held up by "selfish" cyclists or "selfish" tractor drivers probably isn't the best time, but a convivial pint in the pub? Not a bad time.

On a different point the picking up of grammar and spelling is considered a no-no on chat fora and is specifically mentioned in the relevant areas on this forum.

I sincerely hope that no-one is put off posting by such behaviour.

ExBrit

Über Member
I got shouted at by a toothless crone in Plymouth. She told me I should pay road tax for my bike. I asked her how many cars she owned - "Just the one?". I own four (mine, wife's, two teenage children). I told her to get off my road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom