I had to say something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A new variant in the "you should pay Road Tax" from the comments section of the local rag's website on a story about horses having problems on a country road...

1664912318995.png

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/local-c...d-safety-improvement-mendlesham-green-9303812

One would have thought farmers of all people would be more understanding as their farm vehicles are much slower, moving from one field to another, their vehicles are also exempt from road tax, their animals moving from one paddock to another holding up traffic, soling or muddying the roads.

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
But there are points I would have agreed with with the guy at the table. I also think all cyclist should have 3rd party insurance. I also think there are groups of cyclists who are complete twonkers. I find it useful to find some common ground in these discussions.

I suspect that most adult cyclists will have some form of third party liability insurance. It comes free with most household insurance policies for starters, then there are cycling club members, members of British Cycling or Cycling UK and other organisations which provide insurance as part of their membership benefits.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I suspect that most adult cyclists will have some form of third party liability insurance. It comes free with most household insurance policies for starters, then there are cycling club members, members of British Cycling or Cycling UK and other organisation which provide insurance as part of their membership benefits.

But I would also imagine there are many who have not. It should be compulsory.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Quite. TBH if you cycle a lot, you need it. I've had a claim against me when a driver buggered off leaving two of us on the floor - I got clipped, but as I went down, I clipped another cyclist. Said cyclist then claimed against me a year later !:wacko:

I'm waiting for someone to tell me I don't pay road tax/VED. I'll tell 'em "I pay more than you do - £240 for one car and £20 for the other, neither of which I'm sat in, this bike is Zero. How much do you pay ?"

Profpointy

Legendary Member

excellent idea. That'll get 90% of occasional or casual cyclists back in their cars. It'll get rid of most children learning to ride too.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Once they're certain that every car and driver on the roads have it, as legally required in the UK, then they can turn their attention to cyclists.

I hate this sort of conflation.

It is utterly irrelevant that some people get away with breaking the existing law when deciding whether there should be a similar law for other circumstances.

icowden

Veteran

I'll check, but I don't think they have covered "how to take out an insurance policy" at my nieces former nursery or prep school yet. It's going to be a huge challenge for the age 2-5 category. Can they build an insurance website with simple words and pictures? How are these kids going to pay for it?

Should the parents take out the insurance? I'm sure that you will get mass take up. How are you going to check though? Are we going to see police stops on pavement runs to primary schools with young children having to show their policy details?

I hate this sort of conflation.

It is utterly irrelevant that some people get away with breaking the existing law when deciding whether there should be a similar law for other circumstances.

Well ....
There is no need for a "similar law", because the circumstances are completely different.
and ..
One of the arguments here - not the ONLY one - is practicalities. How would you manage this? What would the costs be?
What would such a law achieve? (Bear in mind the huge number of regular cyclists who *already* have 3rd party cover, from the various methods already listed.)

Top Bottom