I Hate Summer Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not much I can do to modify the behaviour of others so at times when I know to expect more idiots on the road, I try to modify my own riding to mitigate the risks. Shouting rude words at them doesn't generally achieve much.
Indeed and - even if you were right in the initial situation - abusing another road user is against the highway code, which makes it a rather daft thing to do when accusing them of not understanding the highway code. :laugh:

subaqua

What’s the point
Well I feel sorry for the pedestrians ( a more vulnerable road user) that the muppet on the yellow carrera very nearly hit on the multiple crossings along CS3 E-W this morning . Seems he was unable to work out what red light for us and green man for pedestrians means . Also oblivious to the guy signalling right ( lovely clear signal) and tried to overtake him , my timely shout stopped a nasty bash .

And the guy at Waterloo today who rode straight into another cyclist stopped and stood waiting at the crossing at York Rd.

The same guy who nearly took out a pregnant lady on the crossing just up the slope.

I really should get the camera mount sorted . Then you can see the muppetry ..

Me too (too), you can't beat cycling in the sunshine at five o'clock in the morning.

Apart from the flies. Don't love them. But the rest of it is lovely. I may even, inspired by this thread, consider hitting the Friday commute again this week.

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5252380, member: 10119"]Apart from the flies. Don't love them. But the rest of it is lovely. I may even, inspired by this thread, consider hitting the Friday commute again this week.[/QUOTE]
It's all protein (and maybe a little bit of poo).

It's all protein (and maybe a little bit of poo).
But I'm a vegetarian!

One of my commute-routes does take me past the 'water' treatment works, aka 'the stinky poo farm'. Flies the size of baby crows, I swear... The wearing, and suitable deployment, of a buff is highly recommended :smile:

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5252402, member: 10119"]But I'm a vegetarian!

One of my commute-routes does take me past the 'water' treatment works, aka 'the stinky poo farm'. Flies the size of baby crows, I swear... The wearing, and suitable deployment, of a buff is highly recommended :smile:[/QUOTE]
I worked for ten years at an animal rendering plant in charge of odour and effluent control and you wouldn't believe the size of some of the insects I used to encounter.

I once had a moth land on my lunchtime sandwich that was the size of a crow. The bloody thing could've picked it up and flew off with it.

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5252402, member: 10119"]But I'm a vegetarian!

One of my commute-routes does take me past the 'water' treatment works, aka 'the stinky poo farm'. Flies the size of baby crows, I swear... The wearing, and suitable deployment, of a buff is highly recommended :smile:[/QUOTE]
As a (very off topic) aside, would you be happy, as a vegetarian, to eat insect derived foods?

I've caught various articles and news reports about flours ground from farmed insects that could solve many of the problems associated with the increasing population and the available arable land. It's only just occurred to me that it may be classed as non vegetarian.

What are your thoughts?

Or should I maybe start another thread?

Or maybe I should stop drinking as much at lunchtime.

That is _very_ OT, isn't it?
No, I wouldn't be happy to. I eat pretty much anything that doesn't/didn't have eyes (potatoes excluded from the definition) or a face. I wouldn't choose to eat insects, quite aside from how unpleasant it is when you ingest some accidental extra protein (or get that horrible 'oh-uggber-nearly-inhaled-one' choking thang) whilst summer-commuting :smile:

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5252475, member: 10119"]That is _very_ OT, isn't it?
No, I wouldn't be happy to. I eat pretty much anything that doesn't/didn't have eyes (potatoes excluded from the definition) or a face. I wouldn't choose to eat insects, quite aside from how unpleasant it is when you ingest some accidental extra protein (or get that horrible 'oh-uggber-nearly-inhaled-one' choking thang) whilst summer-commuting :smile:[/QUOTE]
Very OT, I agree!

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I must admit, it is the worst part of the summer commute. When you're labouring up a cliff face, sucking in more air than a jet engine and you inhale a fly larger than a golf ball.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I must admit, it is the worst part of the summer commute. When you're labouring up a cliff face, sucking in more air than a jet engine and you inhale a fly larger than a golf ball.
Very unpleasant I agree, although I'm not sure if it's worse than catching one of the buggers full in the face when you're doing 30+ down the other side.

Top Bottom