I Hate Summer Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
I know of lots of older cyclists who ride like idiots, it is not just the new guys. By older I mean riding a long time, not just age.
Nothing to with idiocy ..

subaqua

What’s the point
Well without wanting to be accused of being a Spen , stability, wrong gear - constantly ( love watching them trying to start off in big front ring small rear combo and struggling ) there’s hundreds more .

You know the phrase “ coppers nose” for being able to spot things . That .

I do chat often , my opening gambit is “ been commuting in long” 99% hit rate on getting it right.

Maybe it’s years of people watching that have me that ability .

screenman

Legendary Member
Well without wanting to be accused of being a Spen , stability, wrong gear - constantly ( love watching them trying to start off in big front ring small rear combo and struggling ) there’s hundreds more .

You know the phrase “ coppers nose” for being able to spot things . That .

I do chat often , my opening gambit is “ been commuting in long” 99% hit rate on getting it right.

Maybe it’s years of people watching that have me that ability .

So please tell, without the likes of you and me trying to give guidance how do new guys learn.

si_c

Guru
I love summer commuting.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5247160, member: 45"]Not diverting. In your OP you talked about low competence cyclists, and also about those who knew what they were doing but chose not to follow the HC. In your response to me you only spoke about the latter. I'm not interested in arguing with you, you being a letter-of-the-law type and me being a bit more relaxed we're never going to see eye to eye on some things.

I will say generally that I have a view about cyclists who aren't the most confident or competent on the road. And I have another view about those who can but don't. But at the end of the day, I still think we've got it hugely wrong in the UK. Go to a mainland European city where cycling is big and you'll see a large number of cyclists just doing whatever they want to. And nobody is really bothered, drivers tend to just get on with it and work around them. We're too anal over here.[/QUOTE]

I have never mentioned the competence of cyclists, not have I talked about low competence or low confidence cyclists.

I have no issue with anyones cycling ability.

You claim to have no interest in arguing with me, but keep posting in this thread "attacking" me for things I have not said and things I do not think.

Once again you are repeatedly trying to divert the thread away from the points I raised in the opening post.

My issue is with those who deliberately and selfishly cause danger to me and others by deliberately breaking the law and having no regard for those around them. I can forgive those who lack confidence or competence and that is why I have not mentioned such people and have made it clear in every post I have made in this thread

Jody

Stubborn git
[QUOTE 5247160, member: 45"] Go to a mainland European city where cycling is big and you'll see a large number of cyclists just doing whatever they want to. And nobody is really bothered, drivers tend to just get on with it and work around them. We're too anal over here.[/QUOTE]

Spot on. That pretty much sums it up.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5247795, member: 45"]You very clearly did, in your OP. If that's not what you meant then you might want to consider rewording it.

....[/QUOTE]

I never mentioned the competence at all.

All those were competent cyclists doing selfish and often dangerous and or illegal acts

If you want to move the debate on then stop accusing me of things I have neither said nor thought and which couldn't be further from my views of fellow road users

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5248075, member: 45"][/QUOTE]
That has nothingto do with their competence as a cyclist. That is to do with their understanding of the ( predominantley legal) framework in which road users operate!

You could be a worlkd champion cyclist and not understand the Highway code.

similarily, you could be the slowest, wobbliest cyclist going, but have a great knowledge and understanding of the highway code

Strangely you keep coming back and trying to score points off me when you claim you want to move the debate on.

It aint going to happen whilst you continue to make up false accusations against me based on your prejudices against me

Top Bottom