I Hate Summer Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Sounds more like a London problem than a summer cycling problem. Too many people, not enough space.
There are neither too many people, nor a lack of space

It's selfish, self centred Pratt's who neither understand nor care about the Highway Code or the effects of their actions on others

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
@spen666 Do you cycle the entire length of the CS 2 and in the rush-hour?
If so I sympathise...For a route I'd cycled for 25 years I've been driven off and have to taken to the backstreets.Rarely do I go via Aldgate.
I use the CS 3 coming back which isn't much better.

I do cycle the whole of CS2 and for large parts of it I use the road instead to avoid those selfish cyclists who neither understand the highway code or think of others.

It's nothing to do with riding slowly or wobnling, it's the downright selfish self centred ones that irritate me

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
I bet most of us started off at new to cycling at some point. I was lucky because friendly helpful people helped me learn how to cycle better.
It's nothing to do with cycling ability at all.

It's basically lifeskills of being aware that your actions affect others & deliberately breaking the laws causes issues and danger for other road users.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5246673, member: 45"]Cyclists should be able to get it wrong on the road without being run over by a driver or their behaviour resulting in a "proper cyclist" choosing to get annoyed.

This world needs more cyclists, no matter what their level of competence. And more chill pills.[/QUOTE]

No, more cyclists who have the ability to understand and obey the laws and not deliberately cause danger to others by their selfish actions.

The fact is that are dangerous and selfish cyclists and they are not above being called out for their dangerous and selfish actions or their law breaking

This is nothing to do with being proper cyclists ( whatever one of them is) or not. It is however to do with obeying the law, and not being selfish

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
By extension I suppose all pedestrian have a moral right to be completely sober at all times and not to wobble off pavements?

The do have a moral right. I don't think anyone is suggesting pedestrians must not be sober

Whether they have a moral duty to be sober is a different matter

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
I think the motorist has the bigger moral right to be wary of pissed pedestrians and crap cyclists TBH
I think you are confusing rights and duties in both your posts.

The motorist & the pedestrian you refer to have the rights you refer to - whether they have such moral duties is up for debate.

No onehas as far as I am aware ever suggested that motorists should not have the right to be wary of p*ssed pedestrian and crap cyclists.

botchjob

Veteran
I like being dressed in normal clothes and sailing past with very little effort ,the FKWs who are panting furiously ...
But at end of day it’s all good as it’s more cyclists out there..

I'm a long-in-the-tooth vet, with weary guns, so I'll enjoy whatever small victories I can clock up on my daily commute!

BTW, your charming use of the acronym FKWs rather detracts from your egalitarian closing sentence. But, yes, the more bikes out there the better, whatever they choose to wear. Just be sure to stop at red lights.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm a long-in-the-tooth vet, with weary guns, so I'll enjoy whatever small victories I can clock up on my daily commute!

BTW, your charming use of the acronym FKWs rather detracts from your egalitarian closing sentence. But, yes, the more bikes out there the better, whatever they choose to wear. Just be sure to stop at red lights.

You can spot a vet a mile off . This is the shiny new rider who really sticks out like sore thumb .. but thinks full pro kit is the perfect commuting wear. Weekend 100 milers , yes . Your 7 mile ride in , really .....

Lonestar

Veteran
Yesterday I saw two cyclists cross in front of cars without looking.Scary....lucky both motorists were concentrating on task in hand.

[QUOTE 5246921, member: 45"]Ah, so where previously you were talking about two types of cyclist now you're focusing on one.[/QUOTE]

No,two,the selfish and not obeying the law (sic)

My only victory would be getting home without any stupid incidents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5246921, member: 45"]Ah, so where previously you were talking about two types of cyclist now you're focusing on one.[/QUOTE]
Keep on trying to divert the issue.

screenman

Legendary Member
You can spot a vet a mile off . This is the shiny new rider who really sticks out like sore thumb .. but thinks full pro kit is the perfect commuting wear. Weekend 100 milers , yes . Your 7 mile ride in , really .....

How do you tell a new rider from and old one wearing new kit, is there a place that you can buy old knackered cycle clothing so that you do not look like a newbie?

Top Bottom