I have a big rack!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
I've already tried to do exactly what you have in mind to a Tortec Ultralight.

It didn't go at all well.

It looks as if when they are made, at the flattened section there is a closely fitting slug of aluminium inside the tube. As such, the flattened section is essentially solid rather than being a tube.

You'd need a hell of a lot of force to flatten a solid piece of aluminium of that diameter, and without the aluminium insert, it would just fold and crack when you attempt to flatten it.

I can't remember how I planned to get around this, but I ended up snapping a cheap drill bit in the rack (probably out of frustration!). I couldn't get it out so I binned it.

I ended up buying purpose made 26" rack off ebay for peanuts. It's a great bit of kit, although I used the fitting kit from the tortec, as I didn't bin those bits. The fitting kit which came with the ebay rack was rubbish, but the rack itself is low enough that I can use a Carradice and there is enough space underneath it to fit my tent on top of the rack.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Another vote for a Super C rack bag. Same quality as the saddlebags, if anything more waterproof due to the lid design. 13 litre capacity and still signed (mine's a "Kelly")

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The issue isn't so much that it interferes with the saddlebag as the rack will only be on when I need panniers, but when the panniers are on they'll be hanging half a mile from the ground which could (only could) cause more handling wobbliness. I'd rather they hang as low as possible.
Small potatoes maybe but potatoes nonetheless.
I've had the tent on top and it only just clears the saddle so that's OK.

Top Bottom