I have a quick question for you all...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodd82

What does the word 'staycation' mean to you?

There's something that I'm doing at work, and we have different opinions about what people understand about this word.

What does it mean to you?

Thanks!

machew

Veteran
Staying at home and relaxing

It means you can't afford to go abroad (or away), so you take the time off, you stay at home and you visit local attractions.. Like a local tourist or something!

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Thanks Marshmallow_Fluff

Night Train

Maker of Things
For me it means staying at home for a week spending time doing things that tourist would do in your area, such as visiting castles, trips to the beach, going for walks, day out in London etc.
This^^^^

Aside from a few years with someone who always went abroad for her holidays I have always stayed close to home either visiting from home or booking a B&B somewhere low cost (or staying with friends) as a base and exploring a different part of the country.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Thanks Night Train - so would you see a staycation more as staying at home, or travelling around the UK in B&Bs and such like?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks Night Train - so would you see a staycation more as staying at home, or travelling around the UK in B&Bs and such like?
Variable depending on what I wanted to do or experience. To me, I guess, it is holidaying within range of an easy drive or train ride without leaving the ground. Always within reach of home I guess.

Maybe I will skew your research as I don't generally do the conventionally accepted 'vacations' or holidays.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It isn't just down to costs for me either. Sometimes (often, in the past) a week in Spain was cheaper then a week in Scotland or Wales, but I have yet to finish exploring the British Isles so haven't really bothered much with 'abroad'.

I am happy to visit friends in Scotland or Norfolk and base myself there for a good wonder around just because I have found something else I haven't seen yet. I get good company, good food, and places where I don't have a language or cultural aspect to cope with. I also like the comparative safety of being able to 'pop home' if I really had to.

Apparently I will be experiencing France at some point, that will be a new one for me but that wouldn't be a 'staycation'.

Thinking harder about it I think for me 'Staycation' might be the fine line difference between being based at home or based elsewhere nowadays.

Top Bottom