I have a quick question for you all...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are two schools of thought where I am; one, that staycation is staying at home and going our on day trips, or two, that you go for a holiday somewhere in the British Isles.

It seems, from the responses on here, that the former is more of a familiar description?

coming from a family who normally went on holiday in the UK (lake district, isle of wight, norfolk broads etc) I would say a staycation is where you stop at home but do all the things you've been planning to but not been able to do visiting local attractions etc.

although if we tried to do that at the moment it would wind up being DIY week.

Night Train

Maker of Things
An aside to this would also be to examine 'why have a 'staycation'?' as the reasons might vary.

I used to do it out of preference, still do really, but the choice has gone due to financial constraints so I couldn't afford to not have a 'staycation'.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Staying at home for a vacation (should really be StaHomHols, but there you go). Can work out more expensive than going abroad, if you're not careful :thumbsup:

There are two schools of thought where I am; one, that staycation is staying at home and going our on day trips, or two, that you go for a holiday somewhere in the British Isles.

It seems, from the responses on here, that the former is more of a familiar description?

Before I read this thread my understanding of the term was the latter; to have a holiday in the UK. i.e. what us common proles have always called a holiday. "Going abroad" is the accepted term for a vacation overseas, as in: "What're you doing with your leave?"... "We are going abroad".

Saying you are going on holiday in the UK has often lead to the well-to-do middle claahses looking pitifully down their noses with a slightly disdainful "Oh? Isn't it always wet and cold there?". Now that those well-to-do middle claahses perhaps aren't quite so well-to-do they have invented a new word for it and "The Lakes is simply wonderful with the becks in full flow and the leaves turning golden brown, dontcha know".

coming from a family who normally went on holiday in the UK (lake district, isle of wight, norfolk broads etc) I would say a staycation is where you stop at home but do all the things you've been planning to but not been able to do visiting local attractions etc.

although if we tried to do that at the moment it would wind up being DIY week.

Perhaps part of it is that you put yourself in a holiday mindset and give yourself a break from DIY. Holidays are really a change of location and mind. If you decide you are on holiday while at home then you can go into holiday mode (well try anyway).

Perhaps part of it is that you put yourself in a holiday mindset and give yourself a break from DIY. Holidays are really a change of location and mind. If you decide you are on holiday while at home then you can go into holiday mode (well try anyway).

We have tried it in the past, the wife and I often end up just 'popping in' to shops and wind up doing things we'd normally do, or furniture shopping etc

When I've heard it used (in the media) I took it to mean holidaying in the UK, possibly camping or caravanning - a cheaper alternative to holidaying abroad.

We're off to Portugal for a week for the cost of a weekend in the lake district...

Means nothing to me.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Stay-cation= using your home as a base for daytrips and the like
Domestic vacation= staying someplace in the UK
Foreign vacation= staying overseas.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes, it has annoyed me that something with a clear definition, i.e. not going away, but staying at home, pampering yourself and doing touristy things in your home town, is being hijacked, principally by journalists, to mean holidaying in the UK. If you want to hijack it, what do you call a holiday where you stay at home and relax? (as opposed to a B&Q holiday)

Top Bottom