I have to laugh at myself sometimes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....so there I am on a Tuesday evening riding down the Downs Link trail (30.4 kms of disused railway if you're interested) in a time of 1hr 45. Now I did this ride a while ago when I was getting back into cycling and it took me the best part of an hour longer (plenty of 'comfort' stops) so I was well pleased with my time tonight. But I was still not satisfied until I remembered........ I'm 18 stone and an average of 12 mph on an MTB over a rutted track aint too sad. What'dya think?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
TheBoyBilly said:
....so there I am on a Tuesday evening riding down the Downs Link trail (30.4 kms of disused railway if you're interested) in a time of 1hr 45. Now I did this ride a while ago when I was getting back into cycling and it took me the best part of an hour longer (plenty of 'comfort' stops) so I was well pleased with my time tonight. But I was still not satisfied until I remembered........ I'm 18 stone and an average of 12 mph on an MTB over a rutted track aint too sad. What'dya think?

Bloody well done is what I think !!!

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

I have to say that it was a very enjoyable summer evening ride. Lots of dog walkers about but all were very friendly. It's a good job the Bax Castle pub is only a few minutes into the ride or I would have been tempted to stop! As it was, I saved that pleasure for the pub at the end of the route (my local as it happens) which is at the end of this old railway line.

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

Well HLaB & NormanD I was thinking this myself. I can see where I could easily get my time down by those 15 or so minutes. For example I eased off going through the only real 'on-road' section; and had, out of courtesy, slowed considerably when coming up behind dog-walkers and joggers. What I am really looking forward to though is a ride back home from a late-shift in the dark. I think my Exposure Joystick is more than good enough for this trail. Blokes at work think I am mad but I look at it this way: it takes me 1hr 40 minutes to get home by train - doing this ride whether by day or night will take me around 2hrs 30mins. So for the sake of 50 minutes I get a bloody good workout that will save me going out when I could be doing something else.

Bayerd

Über Member
TheBoyBilly said:
Well HLaB & NormanD I was thinking this myself. I can see where I could easily get my time down by those 15 or so minutes. For example I eased off going through the only real 'on-road' section; and had, out of courtesy, slowed considerably when coming up behind dog-walkers and joggers. What I am really looking forward to though is a ride back home from a late-shift in the dark. I think my Exposure Joystick is more than good enough for this trail. Blokes at work think I am mad but I look at it this way: it takes me 1hr 40 minutes to get home by train - doing this ride whether by day or night will take me around 2hrs 30mins. So for the sake of 50 minutes I get a bloody good workout that will save me going out when I could be doing something else.

That's the way to view it, plus if you can do that 5 days a week, you'll be spending a fortune on a new wardrobe....

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

5 days a week would be pushing it a bit I'm afraid, Bayard mate, but I have other cycling workouts programmed onto my Polar Personal Fitness account so hopefully I am getting more than enough exercise now. I've lost nearly two stones since the last week of March so I know I am getting somewhere. By the way, when I said it would take me 2hrs 30 mins to do this I included the time getting to the start of the trail by train from work.

Bill

Top Bottom