I hope I haven't shrunk my shoes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
After commuting into work the other day, I got a right soaking and put all my gear including my road shoes (leather upper) into the drying cupboard, an excellent facility that blasts hot air and gets your kit dry in no time. After, I felt that my big toe was being slightly more compressed in the shoe than before ,but the rest of the shoe felt fine. I'm getting paranoid now, after reading the care instructions for the shoes -"never dry with heat " - :ohmy: leather when wet then dried too quick can shrink I guess ?? anyone else had a similar experience ?

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll have to soak your feet for a few hours and dry them off next to the boiler. They should shrink to fit nicely.

Try applying Neatsfoot Oil to the leather then put the shoes on straight away to stretch them. The leather will look a bit dull but it should soften a bit.

Alan O

Über Member
I always keep shoe trees in all my leather shoes (cycling and otherwise) which among other things helps maintain their shape when drying - and I'd never dry leather in a drying room.

It's a bit late for that to help now, but if you can get a pair of shoe trees the right size, dampen the shoes again and put the trees in (and do the same after each ride), you should be able to stretch them back to shape again.

As an aside, someone mentioned leather mountain boots... I remember the first time I wore my current ones, and I stood in a puddle long enough to get them soaking wet and then went for a long walk - and they still fit me 43 years later.

simonali

Guru
Is it usual for cycling shoes to be made of real leather? Aren't most made of that stuff wot looks like it but isn't?

As an aside I looked up leather shoes and one of the first results was this site:

https://quocpham.com/

I like the way they say the shoes were inspired by the finest steel bike frames, but then the photo is of a titanium bike. Doh!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
These wouldn't shrink and they're only £900.

Taken from another thread yesterday.

Alan O

Über Member
Is it usual for cycling shoes to be made of real leather? Aren't most made of that stuff wot looks like it but isn't?

As an aside I looked up leather shoes and one of the first results was this site:

https://quocpham.com/

I like the way they say the shoes were inspired by the finest steel bike frames, but then the photo is of a titanium bike. Doh!
Proper shoes, like what we old gits still wear, are made of leather!

Top Bottom