I hope it snows, it snows and snows this winter ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doddy73

Über Member
Hold the stud in a good pair of pliers, end on I.e., the carbide along the axis of the pliers towards the pivot. Then get a really good grip and insert half of the mushroom head into the hole....then twist the other half of the mushroom head into the tyre. I've done all my replacements with the tyre on and inflated.

You do need to have a death grip at all times whilst gripping the stud.it does get easier after the first few.

Hope that helps.

Checked mine this morning whilst drying the bike at work and I've lost 11 :cursing: 2 went in the first day of bedding in then checked again after 50 dry (ish) miles. So the rest have gone in the frozen snow and slush this week.

Looks like I'll be spending the evening with spare studs and pliers then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of frozen puddles to fly over/crash through on my way to work. I knew a few were deep, so lifted the front as I hit them, for the back to smash through them sending ice tinkling like broken glass. Nothing like being a hooligan on a MTB. :evil:

GrasB

Veteran
How did you come to this conclusion? If you had visited Schwalbe's wedsite you would have found that what you have writ is not the case, http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/spikes/marathon-winter/ plus I have these tyres in 26"x1.75 which I stated right at the start of this thread :banghead:.
Okay that's ambiguously worded outside the context of Pat "5mph"'s post.

The Snow Stud have 50-559 & 40-622 fitments, that means no 24" version. While the Marathon Winter have 42-622, 35-622, 47-559, 47-507 & 42-406, so there is a 24" version

mrmacmusic

Veteran
How did you come to this conclusion? If you had visited Schwalbe's wedsite you would have found that what you have writ is not the case, http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/spikes/marathon-winter/ plus I have these tyres in 26"x1.75 which I stated right at the start of this thread :banghead:.
I think grasb was referring to the fact that only the Marathon Winter is available in a 24"... the Snow Stud isn't (only available in 26" or 700c) :thumbsup:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've had Nokian studded tyres (as supplied by Jezston via Cyclechat last winter) on for the last month or so, and I've been using the bike they're on most days for a week now - over some serious stretches of icy road.

I haven't slipped, so they must be working.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Well I rode at 18-20mph this morning for most of the way and at 14-15mph home as there was a strong freezing NNW headwind. Lots of ice, there were long stretches when the SMW tyres were silent meaning sheet ice especially between Over and Swavsey going down through the cutting where surface water all over the road had frozen solid but my bike was remarkably stable. I don't like to think what would have happened on non studded tyres, most likely me and bike hitting the deck and sliding for a long way in excruciating pain.

Good sense prevailed. I put the Snow Studs on last night. It made for a safe but uneventful spin in this morning..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think grasb was referring to the fact that only the Marathon Winter is available in a 24"... the Snow Stud isn't (only available in 26" or 700c) :thumbsup:
Yes, yes: and when I get my delivery I will have both :hyper: as I've got a 24 MBSO (doing great in this weather btw) plus another 2 bikes, both 26", with clearance for the Snow Studs.
Nothing will stop me going places this winter!
Also quite chuffed I did get both pairs on sale.

D

Deleted member 22722

Used the contact form on Schwalbe's website after reading this post around 30 minutes ago. Just received a reply asking for my address as they are going to send me a free bag of replacement studs. From their response losing studs is expected and they seem more than willing to send out free replacements to anyone that asks.

Riding into work this morning i'm positive I heard a ping and saw one shoot away from my front tyre.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Sooo glad I had studded tyres on my bike riding home last night as it was very icy. When I got to the car park, stopped by my car and put my foot down, whoaa! Nearly went down as it was that slippy. Grim night for cycling - freezing fog and lots of ice.

Top Bottom