I hope it snows, it snows and snows this winter ........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
The forecast is for freezing weather to return by sunday and next week -3 / -4C. Moderate/strong northerly and NNE winds. Snow as well. Brrrrrrrr .............

SMW will be going back on ............ again! Since replacing the last 3 studs lost (2 days commuting to work)another 18 studs have gone missing mainly from the rear tyre. I'm not looking forward to replacing all these.

The forecast is for freezing weather to return by sunday and next week -3 / -4C. Moderate/strong northerly and NNE winds. Snow as well. Brrrrrrrr .............

SMW will be going back on ............ again! Since replacing the last 3 studs lost (2 days commuting to work)another 18 studs have gone missing mainly from the rear tyre. I'm not looking forward to replacing all these.
can't remember if it was in here or elsewhere but a touch of washing up liquid may help getting them in and will wash out easily...

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Another 18 studs going missing. :ohmy: Not lost one on my Snow Studs in 4 winters !

Fossyant I just knew you were going to tell me this! I hate you! (no not really). I have mine at max pressure but I do carry quite a lot in my panniers so quite a lot of weight. Given it has been so mild the last few weeks I had put my Armadillo Nimbuses back on and was putting off replacing the studs in the SMWs. I have also been using my other 700C commuting bike when it was dry but now this too needs a good clean and re-lube. My Kona MTB is absolutely filthy even with 60mm mudguards. The GBW is coverd in tonnes of debris, vegetation and muck from the flooding plus the last week have seen lots of piles of fresh horse poo. So the next few days and weekend will involve a lot of cleaning and fettling. Double nitrile glove time ;).

GrasB

Veteran

:blink:... My SMW having done about 4000-5000 miles on them have had 2 or 3 studs replaced.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Uhmm ... I only lost 6 from the winters, none from the ice spike set. Been using both during "normal" wet weather.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Always used to like riding in in the snow on my trikes. They would sit at an odd angle as it was only the near side rear that had drive so you would get home with a crick in your neck from having to look sideways to go forward. My Higgins with the diff was useless though as it would always throw drive to the wrong wheel and you would get nowhere. I used to use a cycle-speedway tyre on the drive wheel if memory serves me correctly.

potsy

Rambler
Another 18 studs going missing. :ohmy: Not lost one on my Snow Studs in 4 winters !
Did I read somewhere that the snow studs use longer studs than the winters?
If so that's maybe why they stay in better?

Put my ice bike back into the spare bedroom, looks like I'll be getting it down again for next weeks night shifts :cold:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did I read somewhere that the snow studs use longer studs than the winters?
If so that's maybe why they stay in better?

Put my ice bike back into the spare bedroom, looks like I'll be getting it down again for next weeks night shifts :cold:
Don't think they do, but the difference is the studs are surrounded by bigger knobblies, so I would assume less flex.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As a soft Londoner I don't go in for this kinky tyre piercing business but I have just had a ride out in my new Northwave Arctic boots. Toastastic. At around 5 degrees it's nowhere near cold enough to need them but for the first time this winter I'm actually looking forward to a nice northerly wind.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
As a soft Londoner I don't go in for this kinky tyre piercing business but I have just had a ride out in my new Northwave Arctic boots. Toastastic. At around 5 degrees it's nowhere near cold enough to need them but for the first time this winter I'm actually looking forward to a nice northerly wind.

Jeese, the rest of you will be cold in the Arctic wind, but your feet will be nice and warm.

Top Bottom