I hope its not true about Frank Schleck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noodley said:
<and I was aware there were no time bonuses, just thought I'd be a bit naughty...life is no fun anymore since I have no positive tests to look forward to. :smile::smile:>
Yeah, but I knew that you knew.
(damn, where's that sarcasm smiley?)
:smile:

Four years is being bandied about, it's not a done deal yet. But yes, surely a 4 year ban would finish you off.

At least Kohl has 'fessed up instead of doing the usual 'shocked and dismayed, there must be an error in the testing' routine. I guess the dopers still fall into two camps, those who weaken, dope and then have it on their conscience and those who are willing to cheat with no scruples or moral hang-ups at all. Not that it should make any difference when it comes to bans etc.

Tetedelacourse

Chuffy said:
Yeah, but I knew that you knew.
(damn, where's that sarcasm smiley?)
xx(

Four years is being bandied about, it's not a done deal yet. But yes, surely a 4 year ban would finish you off.

At least Kohl has 'fessed up instead of doing the usual 'shocked and dismayed, there must be an error in the testing' routine. I guess the dopers still fall into two camps, those who weaken, dope and then have it on their conscience and those who are willing to cheat with no scruples or moral hang-ups at all. Not that it should make any difference when it comes to bans etc.

true, true. (barney macgrew? Cuthbert, dibble and Grubb?)

kennykool

4 Years would be long enough but why don't they go the whole hog and ban folks for life...it just makes sense!

A life ban would definately stop anyone doping!

Chuffy - Pantani got caught at the '99 Giro....you saying he was Stoopit? ha ha
Beg your pardon Chuffy.....Tete...you saying Pantani was Stoopit? Oops!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
kennykool said:
4 Years would be long enough but why don't they go the whole hog and ban folks for life...it just makes sense!

A life ban would definately stop anyone doping!

Chuffy - Pantani got caught at the '99 Giro....you saying he was Stoopit? ha ha
Beg your pardon Chuffy.....Tete...you saying Pantani was Stoopit? Oops![/QUOTE

To thicken your blood to porridge and then waste all your money on cocaine to die a lonely death in a hotel room doesn't strike me as the work of a genius;)

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
rich p said:
To thicken your blood to porridge and then waste all your money on cocaine to die a lonely death in a hotel room doesn't strike me as the work of a genius;)

Pantani was a flawed genius, he was in the midst of some dark demon days and really should have been being looked after instead of just being cast adrift.

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
andy_wrx said:
Say what you like about Pantani, but at least he's not making lots of noise about making a comeback :tongue:

I was always told not to speak ill of the dead and certainly not with something as cheap and throwaway as that.

kennykool

Agree Mondobongo...Just read Pantani's Biography. The guys was disturbed and seemed to have all the wrong people around him!

In fairness tho - he seemed to live a pretty good life if you ask me!

I was amazed that the Cocaine was never found during his testing!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mondobongo said:
Pantani was a flawed genius, he was in the midst of some dark demon days and really should have been being looked after instead of just being cast adrift.

In what way was he a genius? He only won because he was chock full of EPO

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
rich p said:

So if we pumped you full of EPO and entered you for a race you would win Rich. Its not as straightforward as that.

Despite being on the sauce you still need to have that tactical nous, raw ability and desire to win imo. In other words you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Pantani was pretty special on a bike and even though I know he was at it I still enjoy watching him ride.

I place him in the flawed genius category along with Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain which is a category of my own making, these people had self destruct tendencies and someone should have been looking after them and they were'nt. Hence they wind up dead.

Tetedelacourse

Far from being "cast adrift" he was placed into treatment several times and personally blew his own chances of a healthy life, both on and off the bike.

To say he was cast adrift would, I expect, be more insulting to the countless health professionals who tried to intervene and salvage his life than a remark made in jest about someone who is dead.

Even despite his addictions, which we could argue all day long about whose fault they were, I wouldn't describe him as a "genius". Do you know how he got caught? Because he was doped to the nines from the moment he turned professional that's how! He was even afforded special treatment from the dopage but still screwed it up!

Brain of Rimini he was not.

rich p said:
He's become part of cycling's mythology. Which means that we gloss over the naughty reality and get all dewy eyed about him instead.

Kenny - Which biography? I've read the Rendell biog (which is very good) and to be honest Pantani comes across as being a throughly precious tit. Yes, he had more charisma than some of his less fragile rivals, but dear god he was full of himself.

Mondlybongly - He had help. There were people trying to get him off the coke. But ultimately, like any drug addict, he was the only person who could sort himself out. He had more money, resources and support than most addicts. I just don't buy this 'poor Marco' stuff.

Tetedelacourse

A great rider he certainly was. In fact that was cited as part of the problem at the beginning of his spiral downwards - even coked up to the eyeballs and hungover he could wipe the floor with the majority of the rest of the pro peloton and therefore was kept in the saddle longer than was healthy for his mind (arguably).

I think we should pump Rich full of EPO and see if his posting rate increases. Regardless of whether it does or not, he'll always be known as a poster of some pedigree. Some posts will be undermined by the drug use though :tongue:

kennykool

Chuffy - it was the Rendell biog. Great read. Lots of evidence to show that Pantani was "at it".

I only caught the tail end of Pantanis days as it was the 98 Tour that caught my attention when there was the sit down protest in which Pantani was the ring leader.

Yeah he was full of himself but come on. If you've got a bunch of "yes men" around you telling you how wonderful you are I'm sure we'd all turn out the same....arrogant! I certainly would!

Agree that he was given penty of chances to get himself sorted and he never took them. Drug addicts seldom do....unless they want to sort themselves out.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tetedelacourse said:
I think we should pump Rich full of EPO and see if his posting rate increases. Regardless of whether it does or not, he'll always be known as a poster of some pedigree. Some posts will be undermined by the drug use though :biggrin:

:tongue::biggrin::biggrin: Priceless

Top Bottom