I hope its not true about Frank Schleck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
mondobongo said:
So if we pumped you full of EPO and entered you for a race you would win Rich. Its not as straightforward as that.

Who knows, just as we'll never know whether Pantani would have won on a level playing field. That's the problem with dopers, they make clean riders look second rate. How galling must that be for riders like Boardman.
I lack sympathy for the drug cheats of the past who have got cycling to where it currently is whether they looked cute with an earring and a headscarf or not.

Tetedelacourse said:
I think we should pump Rich full of EPO and see if his posting rate increases. Regardless of whether it does or not, he'll always be known as a poster of some pedigree. Some posts will be undermined by the drug use though :tongue:
I think that Skip Madness should go through the whole of Race and mark up the posts that were drug assisted.

Monders - You quoted Hendrix, Cobain etc. That, to me, is part of the problem. The likes of Pantani are romanticised as tragic outsiders, beautiful and doomed. That's a nice easy way of glossing over the reality, which is usually spoiled and indulged stars with more money and ego than sense.

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Monders - You quoted Hendrix, Cobain etc. That, to me, is part of the problem. The likes of Pantani are romanticised as tragic outsiders, beautiful and doomed. That's a nice easy way of glossing over the reality, which is usually spoiled and indulged stars with more money and ego than sense.

Chif Chaf I see were you are coming from, truth be known we don't know how we would behave if we were suddenly a big big star with lots of cash and people hanging on our every word.

I do hold the view though that in some cases these big stars are asetts and as such should be looked after just a little bit better than they sometimes are.

Rich

It was hardly a level playing field in 1998 and yes they must take some responsibility for were cycling is today. But a much bigger slice of that responsibility must be taken by the Governing Bodies who were Ostrich like for years. If they had stood up and been counted this could have been sorted years ago.
I think it was a crying shame that Boadman never got more attention because he was a clean rider who stayed clean in what was a very dirty peloton.

mondobongo said:
Chif Chaf I see were you are coming from, truth be known we don't know how we would behave if we were suddenly a big big star with lots of cash and people hanging on our every word.

I do hold the view though that in some cases these big stars are asetts and as such should be looked after just a little bit better than they sometimes are.
But the problem is how you do this 'looking after'. You can't 'look after' a wilful adult who is hellbent of doing just what the hell they please. Especially if they have a huge ego and piles of cash. You can put support structures in at a lower level, to educate and support youngsters coming into the sport. Would I be right in thinking that many football clubs will do this for very young players coming into the game? That will help, but if someone goes off the rails like Pantani (or George Best, or Paul Gascoigne, come think of it) there's precious little that anyone can do.

Noodley

mondobongo said:
Despite being on the sauce you still need to have that tactical nous, raw ability and desire to win imo. In other words you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Despite being on the sauce you still need to have a team to ride behind, a legal and PR team, and bully everyone else. Oops, it's Pantani we're speaking about, sorry got confused...:biggrin::evil::?:

Noodley

andy_wrx said:
Now, now Noodley, I was told off for similar sentiments.

I got confused and started speaking about LA not Pantani. :biggrin:

Pantani's biography by Rendell is one of the best cycling books IMO, if not THE best.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
2 questions :-

What's Frank Schleck's current status? Is he going to ride again this year or is he suspended pro tem?

Are we assuming that there were more guilty of CERA dopage but the results were inconclusive or failed some WADA standard?

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Schleck remains suspended pending further investigation by the Authorities, Luxembourg Authorities were not happy with his excuses and are to investigate further.

I think they may have targetted a few more riders whose blood passed scrutiny on the re-test. They will no doubt resume watching them next season.

rich p said:
2 questions :-

What's Frank Schleck's current status? Is he going to ride again this year or is he suspended pro tem?

Are we assuming that there were more guilty of CERA dopage but the results were inconclusive or failed some WADA standard?

Yes we are but ... if "the results were inconclusive or failed some WADA standard" then they were not guilty.
Wouldn't want to be them next season, they'll be tested more than the Jamaican athletics team.

Noodley

At a loose end earlier today I was wondering how Schleck may have got involved with all this. I started to think about whether he really is Amigo of Basso...then I wondered what Basso would have said to Frank...then I started to hear mandolins and the voice of Joe Dolce and it all became clear:

What's-a-matter Frank, hey, you gotta no respect, hey
What-a-you think you you do, hey, why you ride so bad
I-a can make you glad, hey, you wanna win a race? hey
Go to Fuentes' place..

Tetedelacourse

Noodley said:
At a loose end earlier today I was wondering how Schleck may have got involved with all this. I started to think about whether he really is Amigo of Basso...then I wondered what Basso would have said to Frank...then I started to hear mandolins and the voice of Joe Dolce and it all became clear:

What's-a-matter Frank, hey, you gotta no respect, hey
What-a-you think you you do, hey, why you ride so bad
I-a can make you glad, hey, you wanna win a race? hey
Go to Fuentes' place..

:becool:

Top Bottom