"I just bought a new bike, it's got 24 gears"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was an utterance made by a colleague of mine this morning.

IMG_3882.JPG

Was my response.

My response would've been, cool, where are you going to ride then?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I didn't realise at first that I didn't have 21 (on that first bike) separate gears and that some were the same but by different combinations. I usually explain it like times tables to someone who doesn't get it, 2x6 is the same as 3x4, just you are using different combinations to get the same gear.

screenman

Legendary Member
I didn't realise at first that I didn't have 21 (on that first bike) separate gears and that some were the same but by different combinations. I usually explain it like times tables to someone who doesn't get it, 2x6 is the same as 3x4, just you are using different combinations to get the same gear.

Don't do that, I had to take my socks off to check you were correct.

Kajjal

Guru
My old orange MTB is 3 x 8 and works fine. I take it up mountains a few times a year :smile:

It shows that really you can ride anything that gives you the range of gears you need and changes smoothly. I don't go in for single chainrings on mountain bikes as I like to be able to get up long climbs and still have my knees intact !

Firestorm

Veteran
heard similar at work a few months ago
with added exclaimation that it had suspension and was "bloody expensive too"
Turns out it was 350 quid and two weeks later the chap concerned was moaning that the front kept going up and down, he didnt like it and did I know how to stop it doing it (and, as expected, there wasnt a lock off on a bike of that price)

Top Bottom